Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
littlem_2007

short flower stem

littlem_2007
15 years ago

hello, all, hope you had good holiday season and happy new year. the clivia i was given a couple of years ago finally decided to flower however the flower buds are between the leaves. in november i had brought it into the sunroom where the temp is between 50F and 60F. i had placed it on the north east window and keep it dry - i think i gave it half a cup of water twice until i saw the flowers and i gave it some more. i read some of the old posts and i have moved it to a lower light area of the sunroom. should i still keep it on the dry side? i would like to get the stem to elongate. the flowers are still in bud - not open yet. thanks for your help.

sue

Comments (5)

• craigr2006
    15 years ago

Hi Sue,

Lower light and colder temps can help. The the stalk should elongate, at least a bit. It can take a month between when you first see a bud in the crown until it fully opens. The warmer the temps and the brighter the light cause the flower to open quicker. Since it is only Jan., and still an "off season bloom," anything can happen. The more you can hold off an open bloom, the better your chance of getting the flowers at least out of the crown.

Good luck,
    Craig

• meyermike_1micha
    15 years ago

Ditto Craig....
    That always worked for me...Thanks

• littlem_2007
    Original Author
    15 years ago

hello, Craig and Mike, thanks. i will try that and see how it does.
    sue

• littlem_2007
    Original Author
    15 years ago

hello, Craig and Mike, just to let you know: followed your advice and the flower stem grew about 3 inches. thanks so much for your help.
    sue

• meyermike_1micha
    15 years ago

NICE!!!!

Sponsored
Franklin County's Preferred Architectural Firm | Best of Houzz Winner