Return to the Clivia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Well, I'm finally ready to throw in the towel

Posted by paul_ z4/5 MI (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 13, 08 at 11:27

and admit defeat. My clivia are getting pitched -- they aren't worth the hassle.

Started some from seed about 10 years ago. Have 3 planted in the same pot (think it's a 10"). Two have stayed relatively small and the third has always had about 5 or 6 leaves. Thing is I live in an apt so there is no "cold" room to put them -- and I'm not about to lower the overall temp in my apt just to accomodate them. They simply aren't worth it.

Ah well, the seeds were free so at least it didn't cost me anything.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Well, I'm finally ready to throw in the towel

Hi Paul,
I totally hear your frustration! You should be proud that you even got them to grow from seed! [thats quite the accomplishment!] I take it that these have not bloomed for you? and of course, understandeble that you dont want to freeze to put them in a blooming condition. I don't really know what to suggest about the cold treatment,and unless you just keep them as foliage plants, you are probably doing all you can.

o

paul, I'm sure it's frustrating not having a choice of temperatures in your apartment. Do you have any outdoor space (balcony, outdoor windowsill, fire escape) where you could put them in the fall for a while?

Why don't you try to swap them for something else more suitable for your growing conditions, rather than pitching them. I'm sure someone would be happy to take them off your hands. (I've already got one that I'm waiting somewhat impatiently to bloom, so I don't need any more!)

o

hang in there Paul. Don't give up.... they're worth it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clivia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here