Return to the Clivia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
when to harvest berries

Posted by eukofios 8 Maritime NW (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 20, 08 at 12:43

Hi there,

I have a yellow clivia that was grown from seed from Park's seeds. It took about 5 years to bloom, and bloomed last summer. the berries are now turning yellow.

I am wondering now, how long can i leave the berries on the plant before harvesting. if possible I would like to start them in May.

Thanks for the advice!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: when to harvest berries

Hi,

You can leave the berries on the plant for a while. Ideally, you will harvest them before the next bloom. If the berries stay on the plant too long, they can dry up. You might conisder picking in a few weeks and refrigerating the seeds until your desired time to germinate.

Good luck,
Craig
Sacramento, CA

o

Very often I leave berries on the plant until they actually begin to germinate. Mine have never dried up on the plant, but I'm growing them in a relatively humid environment, at least during the ripening period. All of my plants naturally get a cooler rest period as the seeds are developing on the plant, so refrigeration of seeds has not been necessary, either. You'll see the berry darken a bit as it softens, and the radical (root) will begin to poke through the skin on one side. At that point the berries can be removed, the skin and pulp carefully removed, and the seedling planted in a small pot of freely draining mix.

o

thanks, looks like the berries are staying on the plants for a while longer!

o

Actually, looks like they are starting to sprout on the plant. These are on a plant of Sahin's Yellow that I started frm seeds in about 2002.

Photobucket

o

WOW!! Those seeds are way cool!! I only grew the regular orange flowered seed, and they turn red when they are ripe. this valentines day, I recieved a Golden DRagon from DH! [not in bloom, but perhaps next year.] Good job raiseing this Beauty!!

o

Can any of the experts out there suggest about how long after pollination it will be before the berries are ripe and ready to be harvested/seeds planted?

o

Now I have not harvested a single berry yet, but I suspect that they will be soft to touch. I was given some, and they would give when you squeezed them gently. It looks like the ones in the photo might be ready.

o

I read somewhere else that it's about 9 months, and that's how long mine took to ripen.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clivia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here