Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meyermike_1micha

Not enough interaction on these post...

meyermike_1micha
15 years ago

I am begining to think that alot less people grow clivias than I think. There certainly isn't enough interaction between us on theses threads and posts like there is on the houseplant, citrus, and plumaria forum.

These plants are so beautiful and so easy to grow. They are actually so magnificent and almost classy to have in any room. Everyone should have one!:-)

Oh well.

Comments (58)

• littlem_2007
    15 years ago

hello, Mike, thanks. maybe, one day, you can post pictures of your clivias.
    hello, kioni, i don't have enough experience with clivias to offer any opinions - but want to wish you luck. i understand that as long as the mix is loose and water can flow thru easily, it would be ok for clivias.
    sue

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    15 years ago

I got my start from my Vietnamese alterations lady 5 years ago after I admired a large container of dark green leaves she had growing in her shop (yes, I just liked the leaves). Since her English and my Vietnamese were limited (I spoke no Vietnamese actually), all I really understood was this plant was called a Clivia and that it flowered at some time. I'm an "outside" gardener, so I stuck this potted Clivia outside during the summer and brought it in to my unheated garage over winter. Without going into the trials and tribulations of growing this thing (I almost threw it out), I was surprised to find flowers on it last year and now again this year. It's flowering as we speak. Is this the proper time for it to flower? It's a pretty thing, but it has some strange ways. Thick roots growing out of the base of the plant and curling down into the soil (some of them anyway). Leaves so tight next to each other that I wonder how the flower stalk can come up through them. Is a Clivia a true blulb?.......I'm still so ignorant about this plant but you asked for input so here is mine.

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow beetle!!
    What a priviledge it was, to finally hop on my own computer here at home, and see your beautiful pictures..WOW! What a beautiful plant! The computer at my work does not let us download any picturs. X"s take the place of them! So to my amazement, what a pleasant suprise to see these pictures of your clivias after posting on these forums for a while at work! Why did you say from 2 years ago. Did it skip a year? Can we get it to bloom again together?
    Mary1,
    Funny.... I started the same way! I noticed clivias growing at a Vietameese tailor shop myself. The Viatamese women there gave me my first one after asking her for one a few years ago..I can't believe that is how you started too!! As you will see, having these plants can be an a real addiction if your succesful growing just one.
    They are not a bulb plant, but a thick rhizzome rooted plant. Their roots hold store lots of water. They are fat. By nature, they can go days without ever a drink. They look like oversized white nightcrawlers! lol. That is why we water a lot less frequently on them than other plants. Or at least you have to let the soil dry out completely between waterings if you keep them in pots and grow them indoors in the winter like I do up here in the north. What's good is, that if you have them in fast draining soil, the chances of root rot and overwatering is greatly diminished..:-)
    Humm...Kioni,
    Did you make sure that the kitty litter you're going to use does not turn to mush, or breakdown over time? Have you tested it?
    Where do you live? Is there anyone that does upkeep of baseball fields, or tennis courts in your area?
    What conditions was your plant growing in when the center and the flowers rotted? Usually depending on location and temp, clivia do not like water entering into their leaves or crown that does not dry out quickly. If water settles in the crown, it is a sure death sentence. I hope that plant is ok. Wanting to plant the others in a fast draining mix such as Al"s is the best thing you can do for them..:-) Keep up the good work!
    Please, let's keep our experiences and suggestions going for everyone. Inoticed that we have a few members here that I never met before...Nice to meet you all!!

• kioni
    15 years ago

Hi mike. I did not buy the cat litter yet, a kind poster from the amaryllis forum posted a site for me to read about inorganic materials. I was in Wallyworld today and looked at the kat litter, but it contained some odor inhibiting crystals, and the granules felt quite small through the bag. I did find a product that I think is similiar to the oil-dri stuff I see printed about in the cactus and succulents forum, and it is made out of diatomaceous and montmorillonite clay. I checked with google, and the montmorillonite clay can be calcined.

Did you make sure that the kitty litter you're going to use does not turn to mush, or breakdown over time? Have you tested it? In the link below, about midway through the article, (titled something like 'outside the UK', I think) it speaks about how to test your product for stability, by soaking overnight and squeezing it, and also freezing it and then checking it's form after. So this bag I've found is only $5 for 10 pounds, I'm willing to ri$k that kind of ca$h for my clivias, plus if it is the right stuff, I will begin to incorporate in my other plants (sans, jade, adromischus,) and my amaryllis bulbs, I feel they'd benefit.
    Conditions the plant was growing in Clay pot, potting soil with lots of perlite, watered and then allowed to dry for several weeks, away from windows but in bright light. Then when I discovered the bud, I watered AND moved to a much higher light position (south window but shaded by other plants, so dappled light).

I like the idea of Al's mix, but it seems it would drain really fast, and not a whole lot of water would remain with the plant, therefore needing to water every other day - which I cannot do (except for my mini violets, but they are on my windowsill so it's pretty easy to check them and give a teaspoon of water if they need).

And you're right, there isn't a whole lot of interaction on the posts, but maybe because many's clivia's are still in their cool resting stage, I'll bet things pick up near spring as the buds start appearing, or plants need repotting.

kioni

Here is a link that might be useful: Cat litter used in bonsai soil

• beetle_2007
    15 years ago

Thanks so much kioni and meyermike!! I suspect the lack of blooms to be caused by my removing the two pups. Tried to be careful, but the parent plant ended up with not as many roots as before. Live and learn, I guess. Patience is now in order lol!
    Happy Growing!!

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    15 years ago

That is a coincidence Mike about our sources being the same. My Vietnamese lady had given me 2 Epiphyllum Oxypetalums (1 species and 1 hybrid) years before, so she was very generous with her "strange" plants long before I admired her Clivia.....I wonder if you can tell me though if this is the normal time for Clivas to flower - winter?.....I too like Sansevierias, although all I have are the usual suspects (lack of room indoors to overwinter being a problem). Someone gave me a source for some of the more unusual Sans last fall, but outdoor gardening was just about over so I didn't want to add to my collection just then so I can't vouch for how good the place is. I did talk to the owner via e-mail to ask if she ever came to our local Cactus and Succulent show (she doesn't), and she seemed nice. You might want to give her a try...Maryl

Here is a link that might be useful: Cactus and Succlents mail order

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi mary1,

Clivias usually bloom in late winter and early summer but some flowering can occur at any time. Exposing clivia to 40 to 50° Fahrenheit temperatures during the dormant season, or less light usually initiates blooming. Are your clivias exposed to these condition before winter?
    Extra cool, very little light, or lack of water.
    Any of these conditions can promote blooming and I have even seen Clivia bloom at the end of summer!.
    Strange ha, that we started Clivia growing the same way.

Quck advice for kioni,

Do not plant your clivia too deep ok! The roots should be covered with only about a little of soil. Regular fertilization and regular irrigation are beneficial. I use a slow release, Osmocote 14-14-14 or Dynamite in the soil, but any complete fertilizer will do. Clivias bloom and perform best when allowed to become rootbound, so donÂt overpot them in a pot that is too large. As your clivia multiplies and begins to clump up, you can shift it into a biger pot. Hope this gets your pups off to a good start.
    Hope everyone is having a great day.Did the groundhog see his shadow today? Anyone a Pittsburg fan?:-)

• funinthesunincl
    15 years ago

Hi...new to this forum, but not to Garden Web.

I am usually on the brugmansia & plumeria forums...

I recently bought a couple 2 year old clivia seedlings off EBay...and I am willing to nurture them along to, hopefully, Beautiful mature plants some day.

But...I would love to get one mature clivia (my birthday is in a couple weeks, and I know what I would like my husband to get me...) :) Does anyone here have one of these beauties that they would consider selling? Or can you point me to where I could purchase one? Maybe recommend a particular seller that you trust?

What should I look for?

Thank you very much...

~Mary Jane

• kioni
    15 years ago

Clivias are not carried as a regular item where I live. I lucked out, two years ago a local large garden center had some in, so that is where I got mine. And I've checked the box stores periodically, and the garden centre regularily since then, and have not seen a one. So it depends on your area. Maybe just call around and ask to speak to someone who knows about the plants they carry. I've never ordered anything online.

In the future, it is better for you to start your own post with your own title, and you should do this after you've read this, since many members and persons perusing this site may not choose to read this particular thread, and bypass your question. But you start your own post, and I'll bet you'll receive more answers.

Good Luck finding what you want. (and just buying one!)

• mariava7
    15 years ago

Hi Mike and everbody!

Bettle (((((hugsss)))

You are right about not having much posts in this forum. I have been a regular member in the amaryllis forum and sometimes would peak in here as a far away friend of mine in South Africa has been convincing me to grow a clivia. I would sometimes be disappointed that the last post here in the forum has been several days old which I have already read. Now that I got involved in Clivias, I can see the reason why.

FIRST: Clivias are not like the hippeastrums/amaryllis or other flowering plants that you can easily buy as a blooming plant or "guaranteed" to bloom soon. That is maybe why people shy away from it. I did...before. The amaryllis forum would get soooo busy with posts and pics during the months that amaryllis bulbs are available. Once they are done blooming, it slows down there tremendously.

SECOND: Besides the almost non-availablity of blooming sized Clivia plants, is their price and the shippings costs involved if ever. Can you imagine how much it would cost to ship a decent sized mature clivia? It takes a few years to grow a Clivia to a blooming size from a seed. That means high cost for nurseries. It is more practical for them to sell seeds or seedlings. But not all are willing to wait. I was one of them...before.

I acquired my very first clivia pup last summer as a gift. It just sat there doing nothing for months. Not that I was disappointed for it was alive. I was just LOST as to what to do with it. That mad me come in here to look for some infos about this plant. I did find some but not quite enough to inspire me.

Then I just recently received some clivia seeds from South Africa. Again as a gift. LOL! I guess my friends are really encouraging me to grow clivias besides hippeastrums. And together with these seeds were a few emails containing pics of my friends Clivias in bloom in South Africa where the seeds were produced. I did a post of this in the Amaryllis forum titled "Where my seeds grow...".

Here are some of the pictures. I hope they will inspire you as much as they did to me. I will try to post more pics as they are sent to me. Happy Clivia growing to all.

From the garden of David L....

{{gwi:382516}}

{{gwi:382515}}

{{gwi:382518}}

{{gwi:382517}}

{{gwi:382514}}

• beetle_2007
    15 years ago

Maria, (((((hugs back at you,my friend!!))))
    Gorgeous , Lovely clivia flowers!! I love the peachy colored ones, and this garden [David L] must be something to see!!I agree with your thoughts on these plants. It does take a long time from seed, to bloom, but if you have one that has bloomed, they can hook you lol!
    heres to happy Clivias!!

• mariava7
    15 years ago

Hey Beetle! You know I had to go back to your post in the Amaryllis forum and re-read how to germinate Clivia seeds...lol! David L. sent me a bunch of Clivia seeds from yellow flowered ones, to variegated ones and if I can remember right, a "Japanese Champion" something. And he said in his last email that more are coming including green flowered ones...Yikes!!! I really have no clue on what to do with them. But I'm learning. I wish they were like Hippeastrum seeds that I can just float in water. And just stay there for a few months till I decide to plant the seedlings in soil.

By the way, I did float some in water with hydrogen peroxide just to kinda sterilize them for a few minutes. They looked so funny going up and down and up and down that cup. Ahhhh...they are all now in wet paper towels. I had one that germinated really quickly. I think it's name is "Confusion". Just the right name for me right now...lol! Someday, I will have a clivia bloom....

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    15 years ago

GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    15 years ago

Those really are pretty blooms. The apricot one is not only a different color, but the blooms have a different form.....I don't know why mine is now doing so well, but it sent up a 2nd stem (stalk? scape?) last week-end and is blooming to beat the band. It sure is pretty. I brought it into the house from overwintering in my attached garage when temperatures were supposed to dip down into the single digits. Now, since it's acclimated to the warm house temperatures, I'm afraid to put it back out in the cold garage again. Besides if it's going to bloom in February I might as well enjoy it.

• craigr2006
    15 years ago

Hi All,

I disappear for a week and suddenly there is all kind of action here. Good job! Happy birthday Mary.
    I can add to or further support many of these comments. Clivias are in the Amaryllis family, but they are a primitive bulb. There really is no bulb, but that seems to be the way they are referenced. Their root store lots of water. Even in our 100+ days of July and August, they can go weeks without water and be fine. They typically bloom in Feb to May, depending on your environment. I have several in bud now, but only the ones that were kept in a darker garage around 40-50F. The outside ones (colder) are probably weeks from their usual first bud signs.
    Just about any mix will work. You just need to tailor your watering schedule to your mix. Fast draining may need more water. Slow draining might predispose to rot, but you would lessen the watering. A mix with 30-50% peat + some well composted organic material works pretty well. One main grower out here in CA used sand! They survived, but never thrived. Avoid clay like mixes.
    As for availability, someone mentioned shipping costs. Most of the growers are out here in CA. Locally, the oranges retail anywhere from $7 to $30 depending on where you buy them. The yellows retail for $30-40. The wholesale prices are obviously lower.

Here is one called 'Hirao Green' out of Japan.

{{gwi:571253}}

Here's one called 'April's Curls.'
    {{gwi:571254}}

Enjoy.
    Craig

• littlem_2007
    15 years ago

thank you, everyone, for those wonderfully beautiful photos!! i wish i can see them all "in person". I really like the green one.
    and Happy Birthday, Mary Jane. I hope you do get a flowering clivia.
    Beetle, I have been wondering.. how old is your plant? I like that the flowers look big in comparison to the plant.
    sue

• winnjoe
    15 years ago

Great photos Craig. When you say 'darker garage' what do you mean? Is there any natural light?

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    15 years ago

WOW Craig!!!!!

Simply georgous, and, great info man.
    Thanks so much, and it's great to see you back. Keep up the good work!I wish I lived in your zone.lol.
    I wonder if I will ever get mine to look like yours, even after doing everything right?

If you're clivias look like that, then you're doing something right! I have learned alot from you in the past and still do!

Thanks Craig..:-)

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    15 years ago

Does anyone have pictures of a yellow Clivia? Are the blooms really a butter yellow color?

• craigr2006
    15 years ago

Hi,
    The garage has filtered light. Enough to work in during the day time, but a light is preferred.

Yellows cover the entire range, form near white to deep yellow. Here are some more photos.

{{gwi:571255}}

{{gwi:571257}}

{{gwi:571259}}

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Craig,,

Unbeleiveable!!!!

Thanks for showing these pictures! Man

You might be just the one to ask for advice on fertilizing if you don't mind.

What is your routine on feeding them? I would love to know what you use, and when you start, and how often, so maybe I could have a shot at beauties like yours. Craig that is of course if it is fertilzer that helps. because if it is based on the amount of sun they get, and the fact they can get a much better headstart outdoors than mine, then maybe mine have no hope..:-(

Thanks agin Craig. It is a priviledge to know you..:-)

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    15 years ago

How about that; a yellow Clivia, a white Clivia, an apricot Clivia even a green Clivia. Beautiful pictures and thank you for showing them. One more question please - how do you pronounce it? Clivia with a long i, or Cleevia?

• funinthesunincl
    15 years ago

Craig,

Those are...

PLEASE share your secrets with this rookie...

Thanks for sharing!

~Mary Jane

• craigr2006
    15 years ago

Hi

These last three are all yellows, ranging from pale yellow to darker yellow. there are still many darker ones.

Different people pronounce it differently. Just don't call them Kaffir lilies! They are named after Lady Clive, so in theory it is a long i. But when the "e" was dropped and the "ia" added, many of us make it sound like "Cleevia."

As for fertilizer routine, everyone is different. Many people spend lots of money on special fertilizers. I typically use a mix of fish emulsion for an organic (I thought the bottle said odorless!) and the bayer 3 in 1 rose care for systemic treatment of mealies. I know, there goes the organic treatment, but the mealies are nasty and can really damage a Clivia. I do this every 2-3 months from Feb through Oct., then let them go dormant from Nov. through Jan. without water or fertilizer. Many years I will use a bloom rite 0-10-10 instead in Sept/Oct to help induce flowering. I didn't have a chance this year, so we will see what flowers.

I hope you all find some buds in the next few weeks.

Take care,
    Craig

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Craig,

Beautiful "Cleevia's" like that, cost and arm and a leg around here, that is, if you can find someone who sells them.
    A typical yellow one, which is all that is sold locally, can fetch 60 dollars for a seedling, let alone full grown adult ones. I think I have seen some on e-bay and in nurseries online asking hundreds for them! So you better keep a close on them. From what I have been seeing around these forums, people are actually stealing plants out of other peoples yards now. That poor person that had his beautiful plumeria taken right from his school or yard.

Great work.
    I might be out some day for a visit to Cali. Maybe some day I could meet you. You have helped me alot in the past several months with my plants. Even offered to get some in bulk for us all. You are so kind.

Thanks for the info on feeding them. I noticed you feed with no "N". Is that ok to do. Do you ever feed "N" to them?

P.S. I hate it when they call my plants "Kaffirs"! Lol

Keep in touch.. Spring is almost here everyone! At least here in the Artic!!

Mike

• craigr2006
    15 years ago

Hi Mike,

Let me know if you ever make it out here to CA. March to early April is best for the Clivias.

As for bulk yellows, I hope to make them available again. I anticipate selling them in bud in March and April for about $25 for the first one total including priority mail bare root anywhere in the US, provided they won't freeze. I think each one after that will be about $20 at most. These are basic yellows, but generally much better than the ones we find at our local Home Depot for $30+tax. Depending upon where I pick them up, they will either be regular sized or compact plants. Others seem to produce more offsets as well.

I only withhold N in my autumn fertilizer regimen. During late winter through summer I use a more complete fertilizer. In theory, nitrogen encourages leaf growth. Withholding it (but isn't it still in the soil????) enourages flower growth.

Hopefully this helps.

Stay warm Mike,

Craig

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I will!!!

I would love to hop on board with you if you decide to get some yellow clivias as you described. Thanks so much from all of us..

Thanks for the info to Craig on what you use when fertilizing.

When should I start to fertilze now that I am giving the alot more light and starting to show signs of growth again?

Do you suggest a certain routine?

Thanks man.

You stay warm too.

Mike

• craigr2006
    15 years ago

Hi Mike,

If you see signs of new growth, definitely start watering and fertilizing soon. Your mature plants should start showing signs of flower buds very soon. The yellows are still a few weeks away, though.

Good luck,
    Craig

• paul_
    15 years ago

Some beautiful clivia!

Nice as the flowers are, however, I plan on pitching mine this spring/summer. Started them from seed about 10 yrs ago and have never been able to get them to bloom. I simply don't have the space for a non-performing, boring-foliage plant.

• Christopher (Dallas Garden) Miller
    15 years ago

Okay everyone,
    I'm thrilled with your enthusiasm but I'm getting discouraged myself. I have a large two part clivia given to me about 5 years ago and also haven't been able to get it to bloom. It grows outside in the summer and has tons of leaf growth. This year I stopped water in October and kept it out as long as possible to experience cool nights when I finally moved it to my dining room and left it near the window. I haven't watered since. I now have a nub coming from the side of one clump and am not sure if it's a bloom spike or just another darn offset. Does the spike come from the side like an amyrillis or from between the top top leaves? I've read that early watering can stop growth so haven't done anything...any ideas? Is cold a definite must? I've seen these growing in New York apartments for years and they bloom without cold night temperatures...help?

• funinthesunincl
    15 years ago

Oh Paul...

Please don't pitch...I would gladly help you try to get some blooms!!!

~Mary Jane

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    15 years ago

You know, this reminds me.

Way before I ever owned one, I knew this women that worked at a travel office with me, that had huge clivia, plant flowered sometimes twice a year, whenever it wanted.
    That clivia was never moved from a southwest window the whole time I worked there, for 6 years!
    It even kept giving off side shoots too...

Hum.......

• mcgargantuette
    15 years ago

Just wondering if anyone has any tips for me as I start looking into planting clivias on my steep, very shady backyard slope in Southern California (West Los Angeles area, zip 90034).

We've moved here semi-recently, and the previous owner's planted hydrangeas, camellias, gardenias and hostas don't seem to do much, but not sure if that's due to site conditions or the prior owner's lack of attention.

Most of this slope area gets absolutely no sun at all, just indirect light that filters in through the tree canopy above. The soil here has lots of clay; maybe under the trees it's a bit better on top due to leaf fall over the years, but not sure.

So I'm wondering whether clivia would grow and bloom for me. I have always adored this plant. My grandmother grew it in shade under trees in clay soil just a few blocks away, and it bloomed once/year. I think she might've had a little bit (but not a lot) more light for them under her trees.

I'm thinking of attending the Huntington Gardens clivia show/sale in March. Before going, I'd like to learn more about these plants and how I can maximize my chances of being successful with them. Can't bear to bring these fantastic plants home if I can't do right by them!

Thanks.

JLM

• kelpmermaid
    15 years ago

JLM, mine are outside on the dark side of the house, and one has bloomed twice this year. I see quite a few of them doing well in this neighborhood; I am just south of LAX in relatively sandy soil.

I used to live in Palms, and I think that you might be a bit warmer than I am here. You might actually see the sun shine in June! I'm not sure about the clay, but it sounds like the previous owner's plantings were on the thirsty side, particularly the hydrangeas.

• kelpmermaid
    15 years ago

JLM, just another thought. Dry shade is a bear, but you might also want to consider some native alternatives...

• paul_
    15 years ago

Thanks for the offer, Mary Jane! But I really can't imagine what more there is to try with the silly things. If they're not going to bloom (and the foliage does nothing to excite me) then they're a waste of space.

• craigr2006
    15 years ago

Hi,

There are many reports of people in FL and south TX having trouble blooming Clivias. On the other hand, there are a couple growers in Hawaii, including Honolulu. As far as I know, they are successful. Not all Clivias bloom every year. A lot has to do with the environment. We just don't know the exact mix. They will bloom as long as some of the elements are favorable.

If you are in the L.A. area, I don't think there is any shady somewhat dry spot they won't grow. The orange ones at the Home Depots down there are fairly inexpensive. It might be worth an experiment for the year.

My parents get them to bloom routinely 2 miles from the beach in Oange County. They have "June gloom" most of the year. Dad has mulched the sandy soil well. I don't see why the same won't work for clay soil.
    Take care,
    Craig

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    15 years ago

You know, I have been curious about something.

For all you folks who have the "awsome priveledge" mind you, of being able to grow outdoors, do you fertilze them?

Some are saying they have a very sandy soil.

How do clivias get any fertilzer if grown in this type of soil?
    Does anyone here have to amend their soil with organics such as soil or compost?
    If not, does sandy soil even have nutrients?
    I never experienced these kind of growing conditions.
    If not, then could we be fertilizing our containerized ones for nothing, if kelpmermaid is seeing so many doing quite well in sandy soils, possibly devoid of nutrients?

Sorry,
    I just don't understand this one. Maybe I am asking a dumb question. Been having brain spasms for a few days..lol

This I have seen though, someone asked what soil to use in containers.
    I guess if they are growing all over the world inground, some in sand,others in compost, some in clay, then in soil, all types of soil, then we can just about grow them in anything able to fill a pot good for each ones own growing enviroment..:-)

By the way, hi Craig.

Thanks for everything you're doing to help us all out here. You are a good man..
    Thanks to everyone for sharing thus far!

• kelpmermaid
    15 years ago

I haven't used fertilizer on mine, but they have not been in that long, maybe 2 years. They are blooming all over the neighborhood right now. I suspect that many of them don't get much attention.

• moogiemama
    15 years ago

Just now saw this thread and read through most of it. Love the yellows and lighter colored flowers since mine is your typical orange. I've had it for about 10 years and repotted only once - it blooms like crazy! I do top-dress the plant every spring with some fir bark. Currently, there are 6 spikes on it and tons of berries from the last flowering. I keep it potted and in a cool but bright spot throughout the winter (I'm 1.5 hours north of NYC) but it goes outside for the summer in a spot with morning sun, but mostly shade on the north side of my sunroom. When severe weather threatens (summer), I move it under the deck to protect it but move it back right after. It stays out until temps are to go below 40°, and then it comes in to its winter spot. Very little, if any water during that time.

I begin to water more frequently beginning in February and also fertilize with just your basic Miracle Grow, but will sometimes use bloom booster - even what is leftover from the orchids. This is a fantastic plant!

I need to repot this baby since it is almost crawling out of the pot, and will also need to divide. Since it will bloom again this summer, I am hesitant to do anything until the last spike is done but don't really want to wait until late this summer to do it.

Glad I found this thread!

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi everyone.

Are you feeling the warmth of the sun yet?
    I love it!!

littlem 2007 asked me at the start of this thread to post pictures of my clivias..I am working on it as we speak...
    Keep your eyes open. They are coming soon, to a post near you..:-)

I hope everyone here is fine. It has certainly been a LONG winter hasn't it. Today it got to 55 and maybe 60 on Sunday..YES!!!
    Well this year, my clivias decided to take a break from flowering..Oh well...
    I too took a break from caring for them. Guess I deserved what I put into it. I was to tired to focus on them this winter. I didn't adjust the lights,never fed them in the fall, and kept my cellar warmer than usual.. lol
    Lets just say I have a bunch of very healthy variegated and solid green leaf ones though....Their still beautiful to look at..:-)

Take care,

Mike

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Craig,

I forgot to ask a question for a buddy of mine. He refuses to grow anything in the soiless mix that I use. Says that it is void of nutrients and soil.

So he would like to know what you mean by well composted organic material. Are you meaning the kind out in your backyard made yourself? Is there a store or brand name he could by? I have even heard of using leaf mold. What the heck is that?
    I want to see him use the right stuff even though he thinks his will grow better than mine in the mix he wants to use in stead of I use...lol

Thanks Craig

• craigr2006
    15 years ago

Hi Mike,

I've seen them growing in so many types of soil. I'd call sand a soiless mix. They don't do great, but they survive. They don't get a lot of rot, since they stay dry. In nature, their roots just course along the forest floor under the leaf litter. Here, we put them in deeper pots and compact the roots with various mixes. Many of us seem to use a peat based mix with perlite and/or pumice. I add some forest mulch. I use fish emulsion (I thought they said it was odorless. Whose nose did they use?) and some of the bayer 3 in 1 to help control mealies (systemic insecticide). Miracle grow can work as well, but dilute it out more than as per the instructions.

Does this answer the questions?

Get better Mike. Good luck with that full house.

Craig

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    15 years ago

You know...
    Sometimes I wonder if these plants were not meant to be shoved into containers where the roots are grown so close togther in a limited space?
    As you said, by nature they grow on the top of forest floors and in ground over many parts of the world where their roots are spread out and free growing. That is why Clivias probably avoid the rot issues we get when their roots are clumped together and restricted in a pot..Hum

Crag,
    Where do you get forest mulch? That sounds like some real good stuff. Is it bought, or do you collect it from forested areas?
    Whta we do for friends ha...lol
    Hope you are well...
    Thanks for your kindness Craig!:-)

• craigr2006
    15 years ago

Hi mike,

I was up in the redwoods 2 weeks ago. Boy, was I tempted to take some of that home. The carpet of mulch was just amazing. Perhaps next time I'm up there I will find a way to relieve a friend of some of that wonderful stuff. For the most part, it can be found in local nurseries and in various mixes. Clivias do well in a pine bark mix in South Africa, so I assume something from a coniferous forest would be fine. They also do well with well composted horse manure as another option. I've not used that, but perhaps you have a good source.

My frind up there will try and grow a Clivia epiphytically in some of the trees. There are stumps that are 50+ years old that have collected various droppings over the decades and are several feet deep of just pure mulch. What a perfect spot for a Clivia. Too dream I guess.

Take care and Happy Easter,
    Craig

• mamalou
    15 years ago

My sister and I are beginner grower of Clivia's and we are both still learning a lot about this beautiful plant. I just bought a mature plant from a local nursery. Sadly, it had been neglected and was not looking very good. I did take a chance and purchased it, gave it some love and new orchid soil and a new pot. It has taken off in the two weeks since I have brought it home. It has sprouted a new leaf and seems to be straightening out into a more fan-like shape. It seems to be very happy in my bedroom. Maybe my snoring has helped!! :o) I also have three new seedlings and two smaller plants.

Happy Easter to all!

• sandy731
    15 years ago

Hi, I'm new to the forum. I have 2 clivia miniatas. The first one I got about 4 years ago from a friend who grew it from seed. The other is a division I got at a garage sale last summer. My older clivia bloomed the last couple of years but it doesn't look like it's going to bloom this year so I thought I'd come here and see if I could get some hints. I think the new one is too young to bloom.

I just wanted to say thanks for all the information. IÂve really learned a lot here. I have a good idea now why my plant isnÂt blooming. I think there are two reasons. First, I repotted it last fall and second, I didn't put it in a cool place for the winter. Next fall it's going in the garage.

Sandy

• lianasmommy
    14 years ago

kioni,
    hi! i have been searching everywhere for somebody else who has had the same problem with the buds seeming to rot in the center of the plant. this is my first clivia and i've had it for a year and just recently even found out what it was! i received it not in bloom, with berries. the seed pods recently ripened and turned red after a year and i have planted them and am now awaiting seedlings to sprout (i hope!) anyways, about 2 weeks ago i was very excited to see a flower scape forming and buds rising from the center, i have never seen clivia flowers (except recently on this forum) the scape has been elongating a little more each day and most of the buds look healthy and green, but the center buds are shriveled, blackened and seem to have a white mold on them. a few have even fallen off! the largest bud is now turning a pretty shade of peach and looks like it will bloom soon. i am however very worried about the rotten buds and hope it isn't something that will spread. how is your plant doing and what happened when it bloomed? also does anyone else have any advice on what could have caused this and what can be done to treat it? thanks to all!

• kobrien7299
    14 years ago

I just received my two first yellow Clivias. I ordered them from QVC. Today I planted them in organic miracle grow mix with perlite mixed in, roughly half and half. Can anyone give me some suggestions or opinions on this? I am new to all this and really am looking forward to growing these for many years to come. Thanks for all your help!

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I just wanted to say hi everyone.
    I have no time to even respond to some of you, but I did have time to read..WOW
    I will try and come back to help. I will also take a couple of pics and post
    I want to send a real big hello off to CRAIG!!
    How are you doing?
    Take care everyone!
    Mike

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES