Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dgs9r

have I killed it?

dgs9r
15 years ago

Leaves yellowing, and then browning and brittle. Inner lower part green. It did great during the summer outside under a tree -- when I brought it into the garage in Oct/Nov, the root had gone through the hole at the bottom of the pot and rooted in the ground. Had to tug it really hard!

Brought it in the house from the garage sometime in Dec, I think. It's at a screened north window now, mostly low light. Room temp about 70.

After bringing it in, I didn't water it since I read you shouldn't while it's dormant. Then leaves started turning yellow, so I've watered it about once a week because it gets bone dry otherwise (it's in a peat-moss type mix I think). The watering has improved the leaves a bit, but they are still yellowing.

What am I doing wrong? Is it still possible to save it?

Thanks!

Comments (2)

• craigr2006
    15 years ago

Hi,

It is hard to say without a photo. If this is a mature plant, some loss of the outer leaves is the norm. Low light, a change in conditions, etc can all affect the leaves. If the inner leaves are still green and healthy, then I'm not worried. The plant might just need more light, even during thsi dormant period. If the inner leaves are going soft and rotting, then it is a different problem. When your Clivia gets back into the light in the spring, your plant will probably recover.
    Good luck,
    Craig

• meyermike_1micha
    15 years ago

dgs9r,

Hi......Clivia are a tough plant to kill except for it's worst enemy, root rot.
    I have over 30, and only lost two in the past couple of years since I first starting growing them to root rot.
    A few started to do what yours are doing when I first got them and I had to transplant in the winter time. I saved them by this process. I never lost a one to transplanting the way I will share, or anytime of year.
    So transplanting it now or later will not hurt it.
    It will only help it by making sure of the root system. You do not want to be watering bad roots for sure...
    So therefore, to be sure ,just for the sake of your peace of mind, and to svae this plant asap, you should take that plant out of the pot and rinse the roots off and see how many bad roots you have. If they are dehydrated,with no life, or dead, you can cut them or pull them off, then see all the healthy one you may have and leave them attached. If you have healthy ones,you have not killed it. If they are all healthy, then just adjust your watering practices. You can relax if so.:-)
    If there is rotted ones, take the rotted ones away from the healthy onesso as not to interfere with the growth of the healthy ones, and you will avoid rot from contacting the good roots.

****Transplant into well draining soil. The key to healthy Clivia.

It is a good chance that half your roots from your watering methods that you described are not that good, therefore the yellowing leaves. Your plant is not taking in water as it should, whether not enough or to much, therefore the yellowing leaves..You can stop the yellowing though and fast..

Clean the roots up,cut off the yellow porton of leaves to match the shape of the other healthy ones, repot into fast draining breathable soilless mix, water well, then water less frequently, because of so little light, and watch that plant do well for you. :-)