Return to the Clivia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is There Enough Sunlight in Seattle...

Posted by anitadehoff Z8 Seattle/sunset 5 (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 18, 07 at 1:41

to get a clivia to flower?, or to live for that matter.

My parents got theirs to flower in NYC, they kept it in a hallway that had an old skylight with dirty clouded glass. But my memory of that hallway is much brighter than my Seattle home in winter. I have an African Violet that's doing okay. I tried orchids (phals and colm/wildcats), but they would slowly die until I put them under CFLs.

What's your opinion, TIA

Anita

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is There Enough Sunlight in Seattle...

I do have a clivia friend who lives in an apartment in Seattle. She does have a porch where she puts plants during warmer months of summer. Inside if you have good morning light that is somehwat filtered with blinds you should be able to have clivias bloom well.
mary

o

In my old apartment, I stuck my first clivia in a very dark corner, and it bloomed for me. All other things equal, I have found that the plants that get any direct light at all do not flower as well as the ones I keep in heavy shade.

Good luck!

Rick in CT

o

I got my first Clivia when I visited my aunt in Seattle. I think of her frequently when it (actually three quite full pots now) blooms. Lugged it all over the country in various moves and had to learn to grow it all over again, in the mountains in southern Oregon, in northern Nebraska, and now in southern Louisiana. It/they hung in there in all those places obviously, but I'd have to adjust various things to get blooms. Very adaptable and rewarding plants!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clivia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here