Return to the Clivia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
seed maturing?

Posted by marric Z5a Ontario (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 17, 13 at 9:02

I have several clivia miniata. Most have flowered and the blooms were only about 1" across. The last one had blooms 2 1/2" across. It now has seed pods forming. How long til they are ready to pick? I know they have to be red. I thought I read somewhere that it takes about a year for them to mature, is that right? The clivia had about 15 blooms on it but not all of the spent blooms formed seed pods but there are still about 10. Will the plant be able to keep all of them or would I be better off taking some off? Do the seed pods split when they are ripe? I did a search and read about the damp paper towel method for germination, think I'll try that. I would really like to get more of these larger flowering ones plus the search is on for seeds for a yellow variety. Any advice about the seed maturity? Thanks. Marg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: seed maturing?

It takes seeds on my clivias grown indoors at least 10 months to ripen to red. If the plant is healthy, 10 seed pods will not hurt the plant, so I would leave them on. I've had plants flower before the pods are ripe. There are usually at least two or more seeds inside each pod. Sometimes you will see a pod start to split. That usually means one of the seeds is starting to sprout inside. If that happens, you should remove all the pods and harvest the seeds inside. There's a helpful description with a video that shows how you remove the seeds from the pod on the Clivia USA website.

By the way, I don't know what the paper towel method is for clivia seeds. They take so long to sprout, I doubt that would work.

Here is a link that might be useful: Preparing clivia seeds from Clivia USA

o

• Posted by marric Z5a Ontario (My Page) on
    Sun, Feb 17, 13 at 18:33

Thanks for the info and the link. Now I'm off to check it out!

o

How old does a plant have to be to produce viable seed without undue stress?

o

When a clivia blooms and produces seeds, it is old enough. All of my clivias that produced seeds produced flowers the following year. If a clivia with berries starts to look unhealthy, I would remove the berries. But I've never had that happen.

o

Great, Thanx for the info.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clivia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here