Return to the Clivia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Berries that stay green?

Posted by Ddruck none (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 11, 14 at 14:07

In the years that I had no inclination to germinate seeds, my plants flowered and formed green pod that turned red.

Now that I want to germinate seeds, I haven't seen a red pod in years....(the stems atrophy and I just clip the whole mess off).

So, I've got a group of green pods, now ~10 months old. Any suggestions? thanks.

This post was edited by Ddruck on Tue, Feb 11, 14 at 14:21

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Berries that stay green?

I think you just need to have a little more patience with them. They'll turn.

o

I think they've had long enough to be mature. Why don't you pull one off and peel off the outer layer to see how the seeds look? If they are hard (can't be squashed) and shiny, you're good to go. Generally, they are mature enough after six months even if the color hasn't changed. I've opened green berries like that and found one or more seeds that have already sprouted.

o

Hi Ddruck,

I've also experienced my berries staying green for well over a year. I don't think it is necessary for them to turn red, as long as they have had enough time to mature, as Ohiofem stated. I would definitely try peeling, cleaning and preparing one of the berries and try germinating the seed. I've been growing clivias from seed now for over 10 years and I have some plants that take over a year before they turn red or yellow.

o

I was just speaking to someone last night who told me she took a red berry and put in in the fridge for a week or so and just stuck it in some potting soil watered and it is starting to grow. It will not happen overnight but it took. I have sprouted seeds by peeling outer layer and sanitizing seeds, however this seems much easier. I have one that bloomed this spring and will give it a try. Best wishes in your endeavors. Let me know if it works for you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clivia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here