Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cody_mi

a question

cody_mi
14 years ago

i've had a clivia that i assume is miniata for 6 years now. when i got it, it was one medium sized growth. it bloomed one time, when it was one growth. over the first three years it put out six new growths. over the last three years it's done nothing. it hasn't bloomed, it hasn't grown, it just sits there. i keep it in my greenhouse during the winter and take it outside in the summer. i let it dry out thoroughly between waterings and cut way back in the winter. in the fall i leave it on the porch till the temps are consistantly in the low forties or high thirties before bringing it back in. i believe the pups are only around 9 inches tall and maybe 2 inches wide. where as a friend of mine has one that gets around 24 inches tall and blooms every year. we've discussed it and we think that i'm doing things right, although we've been wrong once or twice before. anyone have any thoughts to share?

Comments (7)

• birdsnblooms
    14 years ago

Cody, does your friend keep her Clivia in the same temps you do? High 30's?? low 40's?
    What about pot size? Clivias are slow-growers, but if planted in an oversized container, they'll take even longer. What size pot is your Clivia in?
    Last, do you fertilize? I don't fertilize much, but my Clivias get low doses in growing season.
    Weather permitting, outside they go..in a semi-shady spot. They love the outdoors. Toni

• cody_mi
    Original Author
    14 years ago

hers are in the house all the time. they're in a 12 inch pot. i don't fertilize much, they all get time release and then during the spring and summer i give them liquid fertilizer every two weeks

• plantmasterm
    14 years ago

could it be your friends plant is getting some darkness whereas yours isnt..Ive got two and mine did the same for a year and after that they bloomed every summer, they do like to be pot bound and when they are they bloom more profusely at least mine do..hope this helps

• cody_mi
    Original Author
    14 years ago

they definetely get darkness. i'm assuming they were over potted, they've finally filled the pot they're in. hopefully they'll bloom this year

• craigr2006
    14 years ago

Hi Cody,

Stop watering in Oct or even Sept. Give them 1-2 shots of a bloom rite type fertilzer (no nitrogen, high P and K : 0-11-11 or higher) as your last 1-2 fertilizers. Put them in a dark cool (40-50 degree room, garage, basement,...) for 2-3 mo. Bring them out into a brighter room and see what happens until you can put them outside. Some plants just don't bloom. Others bloom every year. Very frustrating. I know I have some that take all kinds of abuse and do well. Others look good, but barely grow, even though they get the same or better treatment.

Craig
    Northern CA

• birdsnblooms
    14 years ago

Cody, your Clivia is in a 12" pot? Can you post a pic? How tall/wide is it? 12" sounds huge..lol..

Unlike Craig who keeps his Clivias in the dark during winter month, (I'd be scared to death doing that, lol) my Clivias are kept in the coolest room, east window. They've start budding as early as February into July.

Craig, I have a question for you..Sorry Cody, don't mean to hijack your thread.
    Although I keep mature Clivias in low light and dry soil, do I care for young/baby Clivias, 'babies meaning 1-3 leaves' the same way?
    One Clivia that was sent from China, to a seller in CA, then here in IL, had 3 leaves..The seller told me her last shipment from China were injured, so he/she gave me a great price..whether it thrived or not was iffy..still, I feel I'm to blame for its demise--think I let soil dry too much..Do you water/care for seedlings/little guys, as you would mature Clivias? 'I don't mean amount of water' Did I kill my little seedling because of lack of water? It definately wasn't overwatered..Soil was bone dry, over a month..Thanks, Toni

• cody_mi
    Original Author
    14 years ago

yes it's a 12 inch clay pot. 12 inches is the width of the opening. it's around 10 inches tall. my greenhouse is kept around 52 in the winter and i don't do much for supplimental light, so it does get dark. i misjudged how tall it is, i looked at it again and it's closer to 14 inches on some of the leaves. they've all got new ones coming out too. this is the first year i withheld water, so maybe it'll bloom again this year. i know pictures would make everything so much easier, but my computer won't let me install the software to upload from the camera.
    thanks for the advice, we'll see where it takes me
    cody

Sponsored