Return to the Clivia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Care of young clivia

Posted by lizkuntne 7 (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 5, 14 at 14:50

I recently purchased a Clivia Good Hope in a 4" pot and I am wondering how to care for it. The only clivias I have owned were mature plants. Does this little guy require a dry spell during the winter? I am not even sure of how often to water and fertilize. My experience with clivias was that they are shade plants. Very few in care instructions came with the plant, but it did say that the plant required 4 hours of sun. Any help appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Care of young clivia

I have had the best results growing young clivias warm and moist, well fertilized, in containers, with good light (not full sun) year around. I use a fast draining mix (5-1-1 described in the container forum) and fertilize at half strength with every watering. I grow them under lights in the winter. I do this until they have at least 12-14 leaves and are mature enough to bloom. About half of the last batch of seeds I treated this way bloomed at about 30 months old without ever having a cold treatment. Once they get to that stage, I treat them as adults by allowing them to dry out more and go through a cool spell in fall.

o

Ohiofem - thank you so much. Your instructions will be easy for me to follow. I appreciate it. Do you think bottom heat is appropriate? I have some other young plants on a heating pad. Thanks again, Liz

o

I use bottom heat to get the seeds to sprout, but I don't think you should use it on young plants. I would keep the growing area between 60 and 75 degrees Fahrenheit. In my opinion, bottom heat is not needed by any plants once they have sprouted.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clivia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here