Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amazindirttn

seed starting?

Amazindirt (7a TN)
16 years ago

Hey all --

I'm sure this has been addressed before, but the GW search engine is screwed up right now so I can't look at old posts!

I just purchased 10 seeds from variegated plants. If the seller was representing the seeds truthfully, the seeds should be from striped berries. So I am dearly hoping for variegated babies (I'm a variegated plant nut). The seeds have not arrived yet, and I'm trying to get my ducks in a row before they do.

I already have several young clivias (thanks cliviajohn!), so I at least have a tiny bit of experience with them -- but I've never started the seed before. I am planning to use Dixie cups with drainage holes filled with moist vermiculite, placed inside clear plastic tubs for humidity, placed in a bright spot.

Anybody got better ideas, or more details I should think of? Any input would be welcomed!

Comments (14)

• sugarshane1313
    16 years ago

I just started a bunch of clivia seed(thanks to CliviaJohn) and did it similiar to you except i added bottom heat with christmas lights and have them under light for 14hrs. so far in about 3-4weeks 95% have started. remember only to bury the seed half way.check after a week or two to see which way their sprouting and reposition, hope this helps
    Jim

• Amazindirt (7a TN)
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Jim! That's a good idea. I'll try to supply some heat for the little guys. :-) But why the long light cycle?

• bambi_too
    16 years ago

These are the instructions a friend in South Africa gave me, and they work very well. I have germinated 100s of seeds using his instructions.

{{gwi:571417}}

I change the paper towels weekly, and I use Clorinated tap water, it helps keep the bacteria down.

Here are some photos of some germinated seeds and newly planted seed.

{{gwi:571419}}

{{gwi:571421}}

Once you plant them keep the soil surface moist, I spray it once or twice a day as needed. Please notice that the majority of the seed is above the the soil.

• Amazindirt (7a TN)
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Great instructions, thanks! What do you use for your potting medium?

• bambi_too
    16 years ago

I have been using a mixture of 2 parts Miracle Grow potting soil to 1 part pearlite. I would use a bark but my better half is very allergic to pine, an cypress actually has something in it that acts as a pre emergent, so it would not be good for seedlings. I have to winter the plants indoors. So far they are fine with that mixture.

I use Superthrive and 1/2 strength orchid fertilizer to water with. Superthrive is a vitamin/hormone mixture that quite frankly looks like snake oil with its old style packaging and label, but it does help the seedlings better use nutrients, and grow faster. I used it on one group of seeds that I started in June, and not on another group, and the group that didn't get are about 2/3 the size of the ones that did. Walmart is the only place I could find it, and you only use a drop or 2 per gallon. I always thought it was a bunch of Bull hooey, until I actually tried it.

• Amazindirt (7a TN)
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks again. That is exactly the info I need. I use Miracle Gro all the time. I also keep perlite around -- and I've got some nice composted bark/peanut hull that I can add as well.

And I know exactly what you mean about Superthrive! It seems like it must be snake-oil -- yet soooo many people have great results. I used it years ago when I had a bunch of orchids -- oughtta start using it again. :-)

Thanks again!

• Amazindirt (7a TN)
    Original Author
    16 years ago

My seeds came today! Yippee yahoo! And the seller sent more than I paid for -- I paid for 10, received 14. :-)))

Of course, it'll take a good long while to see if these come out variegated or not -- but based on my experience so far and also based on reading her other feedback, I can recommend loveablechina on ebay. :-)

Now I'm off to play with my seeds!

• Amazindirt (7a TN)
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I thought of another question --

Once you plant the germinated seeds, do you keep the pots in some sort of larger container (to keep the humidity up) -- or do you let them fend for themselves, aside from the spraying?

• Amazindirt (7a TN)
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Just a further update --

The dud seed went back to being a dud. It sprouted the tip of its root, but when I picked it up today to check on it, it was mushy and obviously rotted. Oh well!

Out of the 14 seeds I received, 12 are growing strongly. 1, a nice big fat seed, has STILL not sprouted -- but it still looks good, so I'm not giving up hope. And I've already planted 4 of the sprouted seeds in their own pots. So far, so good!

• bigorangevol
    16 years ago

Doc I want some orange if you have some to bring to the MTPS!

• david_5311
    16 years ago

Hey 'bambi too' if you are still around I would love to see those seed instructions. But all I get are the dreaded red "x"s in the little boxes. Can anyone cut and paste them here for me?

• Amazindirt (7a TN)
    Original Author
    16 years ago

David, they're still showing up properly on my screen.

• bambi_too
    16 years ago

Here you go, try this link.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:571417}}

• david_5311
    16 years ago

Thanks folks, I think that the photobucket links are actually all censored on my computers at work (you know the danger that might be incurred by allowing links to such sites ;o)) but I should be able to get to these at home.

I will ask one other question along these lines from a clivia novice -- when are the seeds on the bloomed out stalks (the "infructesence", to be botanically correct I guess..) ready to be harvested? I have a number of clivias now including some pretty good color forms and have been pollinating lots (though my partner *CUT OFF* some of the spent flower stalks, he was just "cleaning up the plants"...oh brother...). Anyway I am not sure how to tell when the seeds are ripe and about how long after pollination that might be.

Thanks for the help. David

Sponsored
Closet America
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars133 Reviews
Northern Virginia, Baltimore & DC Metro's Closet Organization Company