Return to the Clivia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My Clivias

Posted by bunti 7 (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 7, 14 at 15:58

here are my clivias.

clivia miniata - orange color
clivia belgian hybrid - yellow

they are in 2 gallon pots. the roots are overgrowen. May be i need to plant them in a bigger pot. this season.

yellow clivia
 photo photo3_zpsfcc61010.jpg

photo photo1_zpsed9930a3.jpg

orange clivia
 photo photo2_zps564e1d01.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My Clivias

Very healthy looking. I would probably divide and repot in the spring. Although, if you move the whole group to a larger pot, you might have several blooms in one pot. Many people believe clivias bloom better when root bound, but I think that's because a pot packed with roots never gets soggy soil. After all, clivias bloom very well in the ground.

o

i am planning to have them in bigger pot. I don't have much place in my house to keep all the pots and I want to have one big busher plant.

Can I transfer them in next larger size pot or you want me to transfer into little bigger pot?

planning to put both plants in one big pot. Please suggest me.

is it good to have seed pods on plant or you want me to cut them down.

seed pods are there on plant for a long time. How to know that they are ready.

o

Sure, you can transfer them to the next size pot if it has enough room for the roots with at least an extra inch of space between them and the side of the pot. You could use a pot bigger than that if you have a potting mix that drains very fast.

It's hard to tell from your photo, but it looks to me as if the seed pods (berries, really) are red. If so, then they are ripe and you can pull them off and grow them if you want to. It's best to just pull off the berries and leave the flower stem to dry up on its own. That can take a month or more. Then you can gently tug it off. If you cut it off before that, what's left could rot into the heart of the plant. If you want to grow new plants from your seeds, follow the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Preparing to grow clivia seeds

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clivia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here