Return to the Clivia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RED Clivia?

Posted by dena_eft 7 (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 21, 12 at 17:44

Does anyone have one of these? I would give my firstborn for one. How about a really healthy full grown
Clivia Minata? Ok, so it's spelled wrong, I don't spell em, I just grown em. It is blooming now.Trade? Anyone? :) Arum

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RED Clivia?

Truly red clivias are rare, and worth more than the average orange one. Also, it's difficult to tell if a plant that hasn't bloomed will bloom red unless it is an offset of a red clivia. I've grown seeds that were supposed to bloom red, but they were only red-orange in my growing conditions in overcast Ohio. Seeds from the same batch were closer to real red when grown in southern California sun.

o

Ohio, is right. Conditions play a huge roll in getting a red out of a true red flower. Often, they just bloom orange.

o

Well, you can have my first born anyway! :) Thanks for both your post. :) Arum

o

Arum: Thanks for the offer, but one first born was enough for me!

o

This is one of the red clivias in our collection. Red clivias like this is really difficult to get. My advice is bay a plant in flower when you can see that it is really red and not dark orange

Here is a link that might be useful: Red clivia miniata

o

Wow!! That is Beautiful. I would keep that under lock and key! I would be afraid of someone stealing that Gorgeous Clivia!

o

I have bloomed the reddest red of Hippeastrums/Amaryllis here in Virginia but will still need to see a true red clivia bloom in my garden. That is even if it were an offset of a true red clivia. A red blooming clivia in another garden COULD bloom just red orange in another's garden most specially in the North.

o

Truly spectacular!! Is there a white Clivia?

o

Yes, there IS a white one! This site shows all the Clivia colors:

http://www.capeseedandbulb.com/clivia1.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Clivia bloom colors

o

There is up until now no white clivia you get near white clivias but they are yellow clivias that are very light. There is still a lot of clivia growers thats trying to grow a white clivia but it will still take many years befor you will get a white clivia. To get a white clivia there must not be any orange yellow or red in the clivia flower. From when the flower opens until it falls of the flower head. Up until now there is not a white clivia geen jet.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clivia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here