Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dena_eft

RED Clivia?

dena_eft
12 years ago

Does anyone have one of these? I would give my firstborn for one. How about a really healthy full grown

Clivia Minata? Ok, so it's spelled wrong, I don't spell em, I just grown em. It is blooming now.Trade? Anyone? :) Arum

Comments (10)

• Ohiofem 6a/5b Southwest Ohio
    12 years ago

Truly red clivias are rare, and worth more than the average orange one. Also, it's difficult to tell if a plant that hasn't bloomed will bloom red unless it is an offset of a red clivia. I've grown seeds that were supposed to bloom red, but they were only red-orange in my growing conditions in overcast Ohio. Seeds from the same batch were closer to real red when grown in southern California sun.

• monet_g
    12 years ago

Ohio, is right. Conditions play a huge roll in getting a red out of a true red flower. Often, they just bloom orange.

• dena_eft
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, you can have my first born anyway! :) Thanks for both your post. :) Arum

• Ohiofem 6a/5b Southwest Ohio
    12 years ago

Arum: Thanks for the offer, but one first born was enough for me!

• Swerwer
    11 years ago

This is one of the red clivias in our collection. Red clivias like this is really difficult to get. My advice is bay a plant in flower when you can see that it is really red and not dark orange

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:571456}}

• teisa
    11 years ago

Wow!! That is Beautiful. I would keep that under lock and key! I would be afraid of someone stealing that Gorgeous Clivia!

• mariava7
    11 years ago

I have bloomed the reddest red of Hippeastrums/Amaryllis here in Virginia but will still need to see a true red clivia bloom in my garden. That is even if it were an offset of a true red clivia. A red blooming clivia in another garden COULD bloom just red orange in another's garden most specially in the North.

• Leafhead
    11 years ago

Truly spectacular!! Is there a white Clivia?

• kayjones
    10 years ago

Yes, there IS a white one! This site shows all the Clivia colors:

http://www.capeseedandbulb.com/clivia1.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Clivia bloom colors

• anton_1
    10 years ago

There is up until now no white clivia you get near white clivias but they are yellow clivias that are very light. There is still a lot of clivia growers thats trying to grow a white clivia but it will still take many years befor you will get a white clivia. To get a white clivia there must not be any orange yellow or red in the clivia flower. From when the flower opens until it falls of the flower head. Up until now there is not a white clivia geen jet.

Sponsored
Carl Williamson Designs, LLC
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Nationally Acclaimed Interior Designer | 2x Best of Houzz