Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
1822betty

Clivia Price

Betty Levar
15 years ago

Today while grocery shopping I saw two clivia plants in bloom with orange flowers. The leaves had about six fans on each side. They were asking $24.50. It that a good price?

Comments (18)

• kelpmermaid
    15 years ago

Price is a relative thing. Locally in southern California, we can get 1 gallons for US$6.99-9.99, but they grow here easily. I don't know what the supply and demand situation is there, but I imagine that yours are all grown indoors.

• winnjoe
    15 years ago

that's $5 cheaper than there were at Reno in Montreal.

• craigr2006
    15 years ago

Hi,

They can range from about $7 to $30 depending whether you are buying a generic orange or an overpriced Monrovia orange here in CA.

As someone else said, price is relative for something that will last 30 years or more.

Take care,
    Craig

• bunti
    15 years ago

I live in Charlotte, North Carolina. Since the day I have seen the clivia flowers, I have fallen in love with them. I have been looking for clivia plants. I have seen them when I visited san diego 2 years back. I donÂt see them in east coast.

I have found couple of online places. But the blooming size plants are very expensive. Anybody knows any place where these plants are cheap and ready to ship to North Carolina.

Thanks

• cherryirene
    15 years ago

Since clivias are a collectors item, the sky is the limit.T he standard orange is relatively cheap, but if california folks are getting them for $7 I think that's great considering that it takes YEARS to reach blooming size. Bunti, If you want a cheap blooming size, try looking on Ebay. I may take a bit of patience, but eventually you will see something cheap.

• phoenixryan
    15 years ago

The other day, I got a 3gallon peach clivia at Lowe's for $16.99, and a yellow one gallon at Home Depot for $19.99. Both were blooming.
    {{gwi:571490}}

• bunti
    15 years ago

So nice. I wish i am in Phoenix. I have bought peach, yellow and regular orange for $40 online. 2 of them with sprikes. in the shipping they both broke. I don't when i will see them blooming.

• cayuga2008
    15 years ago

Wow! I paid something like $60 for one at White Flower Farm. I'd love to find a yellow one. I'll keep an eye out at Home Depot.

• bunti
    15 years ago

I think clivia's are available only west coast. May be we need to have special order in home depot.

• kayjones
    15 years ago

The orange ones are available for $16 or less, in bloom, here in NW Florida, at Lowes and other box stores.

• kasiec
    15 years ago

Like Phoenixryann I picked up a Victorian Peach from Lowes for about $16. I went nutso when I saw the 1 gallon yellow ones for about $7 at Home Depot. A week later I saw the ones with variegated leaves (hopefully it's not sick) with orange flowers and I grabbed those also. Oh it did not end there, another Home Depot had the orange flower with green thoat and yup, grab that one too. I know that being in Southern California is a plus that I can grow and get most plants...but it's also tougher on the pocket book!

Kasie

• littlem_2007
    15 years ago

hi, all, about a couple of months ago, our local Costco had the orange flower ones for $16.00. i am in toronto, ont, canada area. it is possible that they will have them again.and home depot and walmart had them for about $24. i have only seen orange ones at those stores. last year at the garden show in toronto, there were yellow ones also. i have not seen any other colours here.
    sue

• kelpmermaid
    15 years ago

I had some time to kill before going to the dentist today, so I figured I would stop in at a nearby Home Depot to see if they had any yellows -- and yes, they did. I bought a "Golden Dragon" for $7.47 before tax. It was in a one gallon pot -- looks like maybe it should bloom next year. We'll see. Woo hoo!

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    15 years ago

Back in 2002, I found a 1 gallon Clivia for about $7 at Target. I didnt know what it was, but the dark, strappy leaves were very beautiful so I bought it. This was during the summer, so they were out of bloom. Then several months later, to my surprise I got flowers. So just to say, that these cheap 1 gallon clivies here are indeed flowering size. And now, I still see the same size plants as which I bought being sold for about the same price. Some even have flowers on them. Sometimes they are more expensive.

For someone in a colder region, paying a little extra for a clivia is not that bad, I feel. I wouldnt pass it up. Dont let the fact that you are paying more than others bother you, like others have said, its all relative to your location. One thing for sure is, that you are going to buy a great and wonderful plant, just think about that. And remember, these plants multiply. :D

• hosta_miser
    14 years ago

QVC had yellow ones from Roberta's not too long ago, but they sold out. Not a bad price. Last year, when they had the orange ones on later, they mentioned having had the yellows previously, which was how I knew. I promptly went on line and ordered them, and they came when they had them, about August or so if I recall. I think last year they were 2 for $26.

Joel

• elvis
    14 years ago

Got mine in a non-blooming state at Home Depot for $5.00. It started blooming several months later, and continues to bloom and make babies. I treat them like normal houseplants~~it's an orange one.

• kobrien7299
    14 years ago

I received two Yellow Clivia's from QVC from Roberta's this May for about $25-30. They haven't bloomed yet but they are doing very well. And they were so big! I was pleasantly surprised at the quality. I'd recommend Roberta's clivia's. I can't wait for them to bloom!

• gardencraze
    14 years ago

Bunti, I got a nice size one if you want to do a trade. mine are orange, but I just had one bloom and the darn thing is white. I've had them for years and none ever bloomed white. Maybe that was just a fluke.
    Let me know if you are interested. email me. You do not show an email on your page.