Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
corrie22

Does anyone have a large orange clivia for sale

corrie22
13 years ago

I have a feeling I'm not posting this in the right forum, but I can't find a buy and sell forum anywhere.

I apologize ahead of time if it's wrong.

I've always wanted to try and grow clivia. My Mom had one of the old fashion bright orange ones, and I've never forgotten it.

If anyone has one they would like to sell, please let me know.

Thank you

Corrie

Comments (14)

• monet_g
    13 years ago

Hi Corrie,
    I've been able to find them locally around March. Your profile doesn't say where you are located, but here, in Michigan, you can find them at the Meijer store mid next month. I've also located them at a Historic Greenhouse and Gardens sale as well as local nurseries.
    Gail

• corrie22
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Gail, I keep adding my zone, but it keeps removing it.
    I'm in the Florida Keys, so clivia are not common here at all. The one my Mom had was fine though.

I'm going to have to order one over the internet.

thanks
    Corrie

• monet_g
    13 years ago

Hi Corrie,
    Okay - Florida. You probably can't find one locally because they need a cool period to promote a bloom. There are a growers in California, but in the Florida Keys, I think it's going to be difficult. I'm not saying it can't be done, but I just wanted you to be aware.

You might want to search this forum for "Florida" and see if there are any discussions. (I think I remember some.)
    Gail

• Ohiofem 6a/5b Southwest Ohio
    13 years ago

You can grow clivias any where, although it is true that they don't like temperatures above 85 F, burn in strong sun and benefit from a cold, dry spell in the fall. I have a friend in Hawaii who has dozens of clivia growing on the ground under trees. He says they often bloom twice a year. The temperature range there is 60 to 85 year around, and he gets 200 inches of rain a year. Your summer temps would be hard for them to take, but you could grow them in containers indoors in air conditioning for the hottest months of the year just like I grow them in my home for the coldest months if the year. There are lots of sources on the Internet, but watch out for sales on eBay. There are a lot of scam artists there, especially those claiming to sell rare clivias. Check out the links to member sites on the North American Clivia Society web site. I've bought plants from several of these folks and been very pleased with them. These plants will be much healthier and more beautiful than those sold in the big box stores. I usually buy a two or three year old plant at $30 to $75. Check out California Civias if you want to window shop some gorgeous, but very expensive Asian offerings.

Here is a link that might be useful: North American Clivia Society

• corrie22
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you both! You know, some of the nicest people in this world are on gardenweb!

Gail, There's some in people's yards down here, but none in the stores at all. I couldn't even find a grower further north around Plant City, Apopka, etc. There's a lot of people that have them from the middle of the state north.
    They seem to do just fine down here and can bloom more than once a year. But that might have something to do with different types too.

Ohiofem, we have about the same weather as Hawaii. Our summer temps are around 85F too.
    Thank you so much for the info.

I want to try some that are the easiest so I don't get discouraged. After that, I might be willing to try some of the more exotic and expensive ones. But let's see how these do first.

I grow a lot of orchids and amaryllis here.

Thank you both!
    Corrie

13 years ago

Corrie:

It's great to hear that your weather should not be a problem. Those cooling ocean breezes must help temper the scorching heat I remember from my visits to Florida. Boy, do I envy you, especially today with snow on the ground!

I wanted to point you to a less expensive list of clivias than most of the ones I suggested before. For as little as $15, you can get a one or two year old clivia from Floral Architecture in a one-gallon pot. this probably means it would take a couple years to bloom, but they can live for decades once they're established. The French and Belgian hybrids tend to bloom a little younger than some others.

The other possibility is to ask one of your neighbors for an offset. Happy clivias produce one or so every year. And this way you would know you have one that can thrive in your climate.

Here is a link that might be useful: Floral Architecture Clivias

• corrie22
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ohiofem, believe it or not, that's probably because you didn't go far enough south. Florida can get really hot, but we're a rock out in the ocean down here, Florida Keys, and it's hard for us to get hotter than the water. It can be 95 in Miami, 100 in Orlando, when we're 78.

Thank you for that link!

I grow a lot of Phalaenopsis and Cattleya, from what I've read, I think clivia are a lot like them and a lot like the Amaryllis I grow. We'll see!

Thanks again
    Corrie

• elvis
    13 years ago

Corrie, I would love to give you one of mine--got plenty. Email me directly at the addy on my Member Page; my mail via GW itself hasn't been effective lately, like it doesn't work, sadly.

Constance.

• corrie22
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Constance, I think I found it. Let me know if I got it right.
    I'm in the tropical zone, with tropical nurseries. I'm sure I can find something down here that you would want to trade.
    Let me know
    Thank you a million
    Corrie

• emerald1951
    13 years ago

Hi....I don't know anything about these plants....
    I just wanted to make a suggestion about the cool dry period...could you put it in the refrigerator for a time???
    I do it with tulips to force them to bloom in the house in the spring....I have a tray blooming now....

• amccour
    13 years ago

Hey, I'm in Ohio. It sounds like these should be showing up in garden centers pretty soon, but no luck yet.

Anyway, I was wondering how much they tended to cost. Garden centers where I live tend to be all over the place in terms of pricing, and I'd like to avoid getting ripped off.

13 years ago

I've seen them in past years in Kroger for around $25. That's about the minimum you'd pay for one that's old enough to bloom. When the color is anything other than orange, they generally cost more.

• elvis
    13 years ago

Hi, Corrie. I sent you the clivia a couple of weeks ago Priority Mail--did you ever receive it?

Constance.

• birdsnblooms
    13 years ago

Emerald..Nooo...you can't put a Clivia in the fridge, lol.
    Tulips are different..Bulbs are buried underground, and can endure freezing temps, even below 0F.
    Clivias need light, even shady light, for a short period. Once the fridge door is closed, total darkness. Don't think they'd thrive in a place w/o any light.

BTW, did you have any luck w/your tulips?

Corrie, how hot and long are your summers? Toni

Sponsored
Ramos Timber
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Westerville's Top Craftsman & Exceptional Quality Tile & Stone