Return to the Clivia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Frost damage-sacrifice buds for health?

Posted by mia1974 9b/ss15 (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 19, 13 at 23:25

A few of my newly planted clivias got some pretty bad frost damage (half the plant damaged in some cases) this past winter. 2 of the plants ctually have buds that I can see which might emerge. Should I sacrifce the buds so that the plants can have more energy to recover?

Thanks for any info :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Frost damage-sacrifice buds for health?

I would as it takes a lot of energy for the plant to bloom. I'd let the peduncle elongate a bit, though, so it doesn't sit deep in the crown and promote rot. Let it dry up naturally before removing it.

o

I am in the same situation. Several of my adult clivias were accidentally exposed to 19 degrees F for a few hours around November 1. None died, but all lost the top half to two-thirds of the tips of their leaves. I participate in the clivia enthusiast email list and asked others for advice. Some experienced growers told me that their frost damaged clivias produced more blooms in the following season than they had before. Although my plants are indoors with only bright light, I have been amazed at the amount of new growth they have put on. Most have produced four full length healthy new leaves. Several are producing offsets. And just tonight, I noticed that one of my Solomone yellows that normally blooms in June is forming a flower.

I think the plant is fine and don't intend to remove the flower stalk. I feed my clivias every two weeks from January through October, and they are vigorous growers. I haven't seen growth slowed or subsequent flowering diminished by allowing them to produce seeds, so I don't think this frost damage has weakened them either. I may be wrong about this, but I am willing to take the chance.

o

Ohio,
Mia is concerned about landscape plants and is trying to get them established.
Gail

o

Aah! That's different. Wish I could grow in the ground.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clivia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here