Return to the Clivia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do your Clivia bloom similtaneously?

Posted by raymondv 9/23 (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 26, 07 at 23:33

I have a groupings of older Clivia on level surface and some newer plants on a slope. The newer plants on the slope all bloom several weeks after others. I'm wonder if the difference is attributable to how established they are, age or slope-amount of water?? The plants on the slope have slightly more sun exposure. I'm not complaining. It's great to have color for so long.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do your Clivia bloom similtaneously?

• Posted by dries South Africa (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 10, 07 at 14:16

All explanation I can think of for the difference in bloom time is the fact that in every garden you have different micro climates. In some way the 2 areas in your garden create different micro climates. The one apparently is more conducive for earlier flowering than the other. What the actual reasons are, we will not know.
Most important, enjoy the longer blooming period!!!
If you are interested, you are welcome to visit my website (just click on the link below). I have a number of links to interesting articles about Clivias.
Regards

Here is a link that might be useful: My website

o

I have 2 planted next to each other, they bloom at different times. Who knows what enters the mind of a plant!
Tally HO!

o

I have two that I grow as house plants that finally bloomed somewhat simultaneaously. Maybe they behave differently as houseplants but they seem to bloom whenever they feel like it (which isnt often enough). I tried doing cross polination because although the two have the basic orange flowers with yellow centers the plants seem pretty different in the way they grow. The flowers are now almost all gone and berries seem to have formed so maybe in about 7 years I will find I have something unique.

o

Yes, who knows what they think..
I started Clivia from seeds in 82..therefore it's 26 yrs old..started blooming about 7 yrs from the time I sowed.
The odd thing is it will bloom anywhere from FEb till July..I never know what to expect.
The thing is, they say Clivia doesn't need much light..When I kept this plant in a south window, it bloomed in Feb..now I had to move it, it's in front of an east, and nothing..so far anyway..I do take outside in summer so I'm hoping for late flowers..Toni

o

• Posted by babka 9/Sunset 15 (My Page) on
    Tue, May 29, 07 at 0:44

Mine are all outside, and they all bloom at the same time in Spring.

BUT sometimes one or two of them give me a second shot in Fall. Who knows???

o

Hi,

Clivias of different colors usually bloom at different times. Predominantly, my reds then oranges then yellows bloom. Last year some peaches were early, this year they didn't bloom at all. Like another person said, microclimates play a big part.

You'll also notice that the late bloomers might get "stuck" in the crown once it warms up.

Have a great weekend.

Craig
Sacramento, CA

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clivia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here