Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meyermike_1micha

Watch out for this!!!!!!!!

meyermike_1micha
14 years ago

First of all,I say hello to everyone and I hope everyone is fine.

I also hope you are getting those blooms you so long for after a long depressing winter!

I just though I would let you know to watch for signs of yellow bottom leaf, or yellowing tips due to dehydration..Yes..

My clivia's were all doing awsome, all winter watering at ever other week intervals until I misses just one week by accident....The top roots exposed dried out on a couple of them, then once I watered, they withered away.

I also lost a few leaves to yellowing, and I hope the roots have not gone past the hydrated point..We'll see. Looks like they are all ok so far..So it seems to me, it is also very important not to underwater and easily done if not careful..

Watch out that you do not withhold water for too long a period of time, if once the soil has dried out..

Mike..:-)

Comments (12)

• fireflyintexas
    14 years ago

Thanks so much Mike for the warning and information. I can't believe my clivia are even alive outside, much less BLOOMING, but they are! Here in Texas, in New Braunfels, we had a cold winter...for us...our lowest temps got down to 14 degrees. I covered my clump of clivias, but let's face it....we were talking about 14 degrees! But, lo and behold, they made it with just a few yellowish leaves around the bottom (probably from underwatering as you mention.) I just thought I'd tell everyone that clivia apparently is hardier than we thought! Oh yes, did I mention it was blooming? Five bloom spikes in their glorious common orange and yellow color....just beautiful!
    Mike I hope your clivia recovers.
    fireflyintexas

• skeip
    14 years ago

But I thought you weren't supposed to water AT ALL during the dormant phase? Mine hasn't been wattered at all since October and looks fine. It even has flower spikes coming on. Is it a gonner?

Steve

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    14 years ago

If you have a soil mix that completely dried out last October, bone dry, I would be concerned...I am not sure of what kind of soil you use, temps, conditions where stored..

I have actually had a plant that bloomed well for me, withholding water for months by accident, just to water it and see the roots not function and then rot. The plant itself lived off the water of the fattened roots until the roots died, then the plant followed...

If the roots don't look dehydrated to the point of shriveled to nothing, I wouldn't worry..:-)

Mike

• elvis
    14 years ago

Wierd! Mine are in pots year 'round, inside from fall to spring. They're watered once a week, get bright indirect sun, and bloom 2-3 times a year. They keep multiplying--

I'm supposed to stop watering because of what? Am I missing something here? Will they suddenly become ill--they seem so content--7 years and counting.

I'm wondering if clivia is way easier to grow than we're led to believe...any thoughts on this? I would appreciate an input into this mystery!

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Unless you can prove to me they bloom two to three times a year, I won't believe it otherwise...lol

Elvis, I too don't understand why people haold back on water either when the soil has dried out. That was my while point. Poeple can underwater these things, just as much as overwater...

Congrats to you for making your blooms so frequent..doea anyone else here get theirs to bloom more than once a year, and what do you do?

Elvis, from the sounds of it, your sound beautiful. Wish you would post pics..:-). This place needs a bit of excited lately...

M<:->

• melintir
    13 years ago

bought flowering clivia last December, kept watering regularly (once a week) and placed on my bedroom window facing east.
    It's flowering again now

• lonemuchow
    13 years ago

my yellow one is blooming now and it bloomed inside over the winter too, so probably not unusual to bloom twice?

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    13 years ago

My God...

Looking back at my writing, IT IS HORRIBLE!lol
    I have no idea why I didn't notice then..Anyway, one of mine is blooming for a second time..:-)

Mike....

• kayjones
    13 years ago

LOL, Mike - maybe your wife put something in your morning coffee!!!

• elvis
    13 years ago

So, I'm dividing my mundane (orange, and not variegated, though I would love variegated and of course other colors...I digress) and rowdy clivia(s?).

Would anyone like to try one?

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Elvis,

That is very kind of you to offer..:-)

You are not kidding about the coooffefe....lol

Mike

• craigr2006
    13 years ago

Hi guys,

Time to throw in my 2 cents worth I guess. Every grower, environment, soil, schedule has different issues. Mature Clivias for the most part can survive with a few light waterings a year in fast draining soil, if the temps are moderate year round. For hotter places, once a month to every other month won't kill them. Now, to get them to bloom and produce offsets, you need better than "enough to survive." Some soil types retain moisture. If these are watered too much, they will rot and die. Some soil types are fast draining. These can tolerate every 1-2 week waterings just fine. A good watering will fill the roots in an hour. The plant can live off that for quite a while. The issue wth watering in winter, is the plant is dormant and you increase your chance of rot. Also, the theory says the plant needs to be starved to produce a flower. As our friend says she waters every week and gets 2-3 blooms a year. Obviously not starved. If what you are doing is working, stay with it. If it isn't, then make an adjustment. Clvias aren't as hard as they are reported to be to grow. They just don't tolerate bright light, frost, and over watering.

Take care,
    Craig

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals