Return to the Clivia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
has anyone ever tried growing a Clivia in coco peat?

Posted by meyermike_1micha 5 (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 2, 09 at 19:50

I was curious.

I have been using a griity soil for all my plants. They are all doing wonderful.

I never got around to transplanting one of them out of a cocopeat only mix, I mean no perlite, or anything, in a see through container, and I tell you, that plant has the biggest fattest white roots I have ever seen. They look so healthy! It seems to me to, that I can let the soil dry out longer, and it seems to hold the perfect moister for the roots for a longer period of time.
It is VERY happy.
You could probably grow in just about anything that just holds moisture, and that drains well.
I wonder if this could be an alternative for those of you that live in hot dry climates, or anywhere for that matter?
Just a thought.
It has been growing in it for 2 years, and is so healthy. I just realized it the other day, examining the roots through the container and seeing how beautiful it is. I see them coming out the bottom of container too..

All my others are in a gritty mix, are doing fine too. But cocopeat seems to perform better than regular peat in this case. Just my observation, that's all.:-)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: has anyone ever tried growing a Clivia in coco peat?

I have had a clivia for about a year that I won at a Master Gardener meeting and it is potted in regular potting soil with some added perlite. It looks great, dark green leaves, nice fat roots peeking out of the bottom of the pot and even a bud just beginning to break out of the leaves. Can't wait to see it. I'm pretty sure it is the common orange color, but they are gorgeous. One day I would like to find a yellow one.

o

How can this thread be near the top when the last one to post to it did it 4 years ago????

Mike

o

How is your clivia planted in coco peat doing? I'm guessing the clear pot is plastic.
I just got a few clivias that arrived bare root and put them in clay pots with gritty mix for air circulation and because I know I tend to water more than less. I'm thinking I will try an offset in coco and see they compare.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clivia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here