Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
izharhaq

Clivia - no new roots

izharhaq
14 years ago

I bought a Clivia (sold to me as a Red bloom variety) on 6th of March and planted it in a well drained mixture of Coir, sand and composted manure and it is in place where it receives direct morning sun from 8:15 am till 10:30 and afterward it is bright shade. My bare-root looked like this, when I received it:

{{gwi:571712}}

it was already in bloom, when i opened up the pack. Its still in the same condition i.e. no new roots or growth, are they that slow? no sign of wilting or rot as well.

any way to improve its condition? our temperatures are around 70 - 100 F

Izhar

Comments (15)

• monet_g
    14 years ago

Izhar,
    Clivias appreciate oxygen around the roots. I had similar problems until I began using a mix of equal parts of bark, turface and granite all at about 1 mm in size. (Search the forum for "Al's Gritty Mix".) The roots are just pumping out now. Many people don't like Coir because it holds too much moisture.
    With this said, I often find that when plants are shipped to me, they arrive in a bit of a shock and it takes some time for them to acclimate. Also, top growth on some clivias can be slow. With time and the new medium the plant will grow well.
    Gail
    Gail

• meyermike_1micha
    14 years ago

I don't mean to sound negative, but I think the plant is past help. It looks as though the roots have rotted away..:-(

Coir, sand and compost would never do well with my plants..That holds way too much water which could explain the reason why the roots have died..
    Also, once a new plant arrives, the root and plant do shut down for a bit until the adjustment occurs, which would aggrivate the ability to take up water even more..

Sorry to see this..:-(

The next time you get one in the mail, you should unwrap it, soak the roots in water for a couple of hours to hydrate themselves,I sometimes use a drop or two of "Superthrive", then once nice and plump, plant them in a soilless mix that provides plenty of oxygen to the roots in a well open and airy mix...

I even make extra holes in my pots to provide much more air into the root zone..:-)

I wish you well on your next mail order..

Mike..:-)

• monet_g
    14 years ago

Mike, this is not a healthy plant, but I really don't think that it's past help I see that it was probably planted way too deep by how white the bottom of the stalk is. Izhar, plant it with just 3-7 mm below your medium - enough to stabilize the plant.
    Also, Mike, although the roots look dark (instead of white) don't they look firm? I do think with good care and a good medium this plant can be healthy. I've had poorer looking plants, with no roots, that I placed in perlite or sand with a little moisture and placed on heat that have grown on well.
    Izhar, are the roots firm? If not, I suggest that you scrub away all the dead material, apply a fungicide, let it dry and use the above procedure.
    I hate it when I spend good money on plants and I receive them in poor shape. It will take a year or two to become healthy. (BTW, there are numerous on-line discussions about purchasing plants from reputable dealers/collectors.)
    Gail

• izharhaq
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank You so much... i really appreciate your replies, well the coir i am using is pretty much different from the usual coir and it does not get water logged or hold-up water in large volume for the plants to rot, as i am also growing zantedeschia elliottiana, crinum, hippeastrums, agapanthus, caladiums, haemanthus multiflorus and dwarf dendrobiums with good results in it..

The Clivia roots were and are firm and turgid, the leaves are shiny and smooth, I have planted it in depth that covers only the root bearing part, in a clay pot.

The dark parts you see in the pic are not rotten, they are just toned dark...

I will also post its current pic shortly..

Thank You again both of you, for the reply and advice.

Izhar

• meyermike_1micha
    14 years ago

Maybe your right Monet..:-)

I am just not use to seeing roots like that.

If it does well, then they are some pretty tough plants to kill, for sure.

Good luck izhar. I hope things are ok over where you are, Nice to meet you! Don't be a stranger. Please let us know how it does down the road..Monet is very encouraging and gave great advice...It should work if the roots are fine.

• izharhaq
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here are the recent pics:

{{gwi:571713}}

{{gwi:571714}}

still no new roots.... :(

Izhar

• meyermike_1micha
    13 years ago

Izhar....

I am a bit confused. were you asking us to help you make your plant better than what is looks like today?

Or were you asking us to help you to make it look better than what it looked like in March?

Because to me, today, it looks great and needs nothing but maybe a trim on the leaf to shape it a bit.

• monet_g
    13 years ago

Izhar,
    I agree with Mike, that the plant looks good and, to me, better than last month. It will just take time for the roots to grow if growing conditions are right. However, that medium looks too dense to me for a fully rooted plant (probably okay for a clivia with few roots). If you do find it does not thrive after a while, you might want to try the mix up thread.
    Gail

• izharhaq
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It means that my plant is okay..!! :)

actually i was worried just because it has not grown any new roots, while all the other plants (agapanthus etc) have already filled their containers with numerous white fresh roots..

I will stick to your advice and if it start to deteriorate or else, I will change its potting mix..

Thank You both again.. it feels so nice to have an encouraging advice... :)

Izhar

• izharhaq
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Last evening I accidentally hit the pot of my plant and I was very pleasantly surprised to see 3 small, fat and white new roots..!!!!!! After almost 5 months.... The plant is quiet miserable right now as some rodents have nicked its leaves... but now I am sure that it will form new ones.... it is in the same mix..

we have shifted to our new place where I have placed it along with my Anthuriums and dwarf dendrobium, where it gets 1 hour direct sun until sunset.. we had lots of rains this monsoon...

Izhar

• monet_g
    13 years ago

Izhar,
    Well... the plant is surviving not thriving. You should have a whole lot more roots than 3 small new ones after five months. My opinion is that the mix isn't right. It's probably holding too much water and definitely not enough air.
    Gail

• izharhaq
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Gail I searched Al's gritty mix but the components are unavailable here in our region... coarse things I can use are charcoal pieces, ceramic chips and coconut husk chips.. these are used for orchids.. can I use them to form my own mix?

Thanks for the reply... :)

Izhar

• meyermike_1micha
    13 years ago

Sounds good to me Izhar..

How are you anyway..Are you surviving that horrible flooding over there..I was thinking of you so that is why I stopped by..

• monet_g
    13 years ago

Izhar,
    Pure coconut husk chips are perfect for developing roots (be sure you rinse them well as they can hold salts). When the plant gets healthy and is really pushing roots, I'd get it in the mix of the other components, but most importantly, they must be of the same/similar size. This allows for the aeration.
    Gail

• izharhaq
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Mike.. I am quiet far away from the flood affected areas, our organization has setup mobile hospitals in these areas, the actual situation is more graver than its coverage on media but God willing we will prosper again.. :) thanks for your concern...

Gail, I will re-pot it in the husk chips... thank you for the advice :)

Izhar