Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dondeldux

Expected color of clivia from base of the plant

Hi Everyone!

I am new to this forum but not to GW, some of you might know me from the Hippeastrum forum..I don't know if that's good or bad...

A few years ago I was gifted with quite a few Clivia seeds originating from South Africa. Up until now I have just been watching them very slowly growing their 2 leaves..but, now some are really jobbing out with a nice hefty third leaf and I am now extremely interested!

My question is: I think that if the color of the stem is purplish down at the soil line I can expect the flowers to be in the orange or bronze range..if the pigment is just green (no darker coloration at all then I can expect the flowers to be in the yellow range. Please correct me if I'm wrong...but, what about the bases that have a mild coloration in between the darker and just green..would they be peach or two tone?.. and, am I incorrect that the color of the base of the stem in an indicator of the color of the flower?

I know.. I should have typed this in the search box since it may have already been answered but, you guys look like you need a little stimulation! ;-)

Thanks in advance for any info you can give me as I'm really getting excited about the possibilities I may have.

I also have a couple of seeds that I purchased from Ebay and those are doing well also..in total I have 15 little Clivia plants adorning my bright mostly sun free windows.

Unfortunately, now I am coveting a broad leaf Clivia (my favorite) with variegated leaves...I do so hope this isn't another addiction in the making...

Donna

Comments (6)

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Ohiofem,

Thank you for your reply!

About 8 of my seedlings were labeled Clivia miniata dark, broad leaf orange/red/and bronze and are from South Africa. These are fascinating me as even though they only have 3 leaves, they all have rather dark pigmented bases.. a couple are more lightly pigmented (I love saturated colors anyway so various shades of orange are OK with me)..and the leaves are somewhat different on each..some are shorter, fatter, most do appear to be going to be with wider leaves (I think).

I have some crosses that I bought from EBay that have green bases and these mostly have thinner leaves. And I have 4 newer just barely 2" seedlings and those too are all green(maybe it's too early for the base color to show(?)..and, I'm hoping for some peaches too..

I have a yellow seedling that has a dark base.. I think I'll have a smorgasbord of colors when they do bloom.

Thank you for your growing advice.. I have just been using Miracle Grow at a very week solution each time I water them and am using a very quick drying soil mix (the same I use for my amaryllis) and they are in tiny clay pots and receive bright light with only sun the last few hours of the day..I will move them to a brighert window with a bit more sun when I get the bulk of my amaryllis bulbs outside!!

I most definitly look forward to growing some variegated plants..the durumas in particular. I prefer the leaves with a moderate amoung of variegation as opposed to the duck(?) varieties with large splashed of white. Did you buy your plants from China or did you grow them from seeds? I do see the beautiful plants from China on EBay and I do a lot of drooling, but hesitate to buy a plant from that far away..seeds I may try but haven't yet..

As of today I have a total of 15.. who knows what next week will bring...;-)

Donna

• Ohiofem 6a/5b Southwest Ohio
    12 years ago

I love your enthusiasm. I started out growing clivias in 2004 with one plant and six seeds from California that turned out to be very easy to grow. Then I went crazy and bought a bunch of seeds from China and South Africa, which turned out to be a lot more difficult as seedlings. In particular, seeds from variegated plants are a real roll of the dice. A mother plant with a lot of variegation is likely to produce albino offspring that can never survive. The best mother has only slight variegation, and usually no more than half of her seeds will produce variegated plants. All of those will be more difficult to grow than unvariegated plants. They grow more slowly and are easily sunburned. After investing more than a hundred dollars in seeds from international sellers, I only have two healthy variegated plants grown from seed. They both come from seed sold by Lily, a regular ebay seller from China. One has bloomed several times and I've been able to raise two more plants from seeds they produced. All of this is why I advise spending your money on plants that are a year or more old instead of gambling on unknown seed. I've gotten several nice variegated year old plants for less than $20 each.

Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the info, I too now prefer to buy a plant at least a few years old..(I want to live to see it bloom)!! Still, the lure of exotic seeds seems to beckon me..I haven't ordered any yet, and I didn't realize that the percentage of albinos ould be so great,that's good to know. I guess if I do order seeds I'd better order at least 20+ seeds so like you I may end up with a couple of good ones. But then again I'll just probably stick to the trusted Ebayers that I've dealt with previously. I really prefer the ones with the pinstripes!..
    I will have to cool it for a short while, I did order two small plants from EBay very recently and now I have to wait for them to arrive to see what I did indeed buy..

Thanks..

• Ohiofem 6a/5b Southwest Ohio
    12 years ago

Donna: You asked about a photo of my Solomone Yellow on the other thread, but since that did not relate to the original post, I thought I would post some photos of my yellow and pale peach clivias here instead. There is unbelievable variation in clivias, especially if you grow them from seed. I got the two peaches in this group (Tessa and Sunrise Sunset) as offsets, so their flowers were very much as I expected. The two yellows (Solomone Yellow and Cynthia's Dream) didn't turn out very much like the photos of their parents, and in both cases I was pretty disappointed. These photos are from their first blooms. Later blooms are usually better, and often quite different.

Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for posting your pictures!!

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting