Return to the Clivia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
clivia seed.

Posted by dennisoo7 (yoti14@optusnet.com.au) on
Wed, Apr 30, 08 at 18:03

hello,
i often see poor quality clivia seed for sale on ebay,does that mean i would get poor quality plants?.
thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: clivia seed.

I got some nice plants out of some I bought last year, so no you can't go by that. I really don't understand why Lily and Wu Jin call them poor quality.

o

She just doesn't want to misrepresent. I bought some nice quality ones from Lily, and I've now got about 60 seeds leafed out, from 110 seeds, and I'm waiting for the rest to leaf out. So far only 3 seeds have died.

o

Hi,

The Chinese have a pretty strict quality rating system of their Clivias. They judge the parents based on leaf structure, shape, size, color, variegation, symmety, etc. Most of the Clivias in the USA would qualify as "poor quality." In the USA, we tend to be more interested in flowers. They have a few amazing flowers, but most of their efforts have been into leaves, while most of the western world's efforts have been into the flowers.

Lily is very respected. The "poor quality" label is not that the seeds are in bad shape, just that you will most likely get an average oranges.

Good luck with your seedlings.

Craig
Sacramento, CA

o

thanks craig that makes sense.

o

hi craig,i was just reading the cliviaforum.co.za and this is what they said This is a picture I took today showing some nice seedlings grown from poor looking seeds of Chinese clivia with orange flowers x semi-broad leaf yellow clivia (pollen parent)

o

I just purchased a clivia plant from one of my neighbors. She said it is 8 years old. It had two blossoms this year and now I have some green seeds on the plant.

Please tell me when these can be harvested. I am very excited about my new plant.

o
RE: clivia seeds .for SASE

• Posted by pha52m 8/Vancouver (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 28, 08 at 1:27

This year,again, I have lots of seeds to give away to interested Clivia fans.You must be Canadian or have a canadian address .to get the seeds .I have many types
and strains of Clivia but I only have Broad leaf Belgium
Hybrid seeds for distribution.Please e-mail me if you
are interested .Take care
My e-mail address :pha52m@yahoo.com

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clivia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here