Return to the Clivia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
clivia re-potting, rotting?

Posted by warrengk ca (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 14, 11 at 19:12

Hi there, i have a big varigated clivia, that was in the ground for a few years, well i dug it up because i wanted to move it into a pot to enjoy it closer. Well some of the roots were cut during the move. So i potted it up in a 5 gallon pot, that's the only thing all these roots would fit in. Checked it a few weeks later and noticed that the roots that were cut during the move, were starting to mush, now i didn't water it as i didn't want it to rot. so i replanted using more perlite, check some surface roots today and they are still mushing, i think its because of stress and the clivia not growing, not needing any water from the roots. Now do i cut as many roots off as i can, or do i just let the natural process take over of the roots dying off, its not root rot the disease as i dunked it in daconil before i planted it into a pot, any info would be appreciated! thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: clivia re-potting, rotting?

Warrengk...I'd bet your Clivia is stressed.
Most plants grown in a garden then potted in a container goes through a stressful period.

Don't keep peeking..lol..Do you unpot the entire plant to sneek a peek?
If so, please stop.

How moist are you keeping soil? Soil needs to dry between waterings. My Clivias are grown as succulents. Too much water will cause root rot.
Water when soil feels and looks crumbly. Hopefully, you potted in well-draining soil??

There's a product called SuperThrive. It works fantastic on stressed plants. ST contains 50 vitamins and hormones. If you have or decide to get a bottle, add 10 drops per gallon of room temp water. Mix. Then add to soil.

Keep your Clivia in a brightly lit window or if outdoors, bright shade to indirect bright light.

I doubt your Clivia will bloom this year, but if left in the same container, it should flower in 2012. Good luck, Toni

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clivia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here