Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rredbbeard

Lighting, flowering frequency, seed sites, etc...

rredbbeard
16 years ago

I just noticed this section of the GardenWeb, which must be somewhat new? I have been growing clivia as an amateur for about 20 years, and have starting to accumulate more clivia of different types over the past several years.

I have found that clivia thrive on being ignored for the most part. Mine have done best when I put them in heavy shade during the summer months, with 'normal' watering and feeding, but they are definitely LOW light plants. Most of mine spend the summer on a north-facing porch. In the winter, I have found that the best blooming is from those that are in the darker corners, away from direct light.

I have had flower heads that self-destruct because they don't get out of the crown. Most of these have been on plants where it is somewhat warmer and brighter than the successful bloomers. Of course I want the seeds! I start lots of little plants and give them away, so more people will get into clivia appreciation!

I just bought a few variegated plants from a very good and reasonably-priced supplier in China, plus seed for yellow Daruma type clivia. If you would like contact info, go to my member page and email me directly. eBay can be a good source for plants and seed too.

There are a number of clivia clubs too. I know there is one forming here in Eastern CT...

Happy growing!

Rick in CT

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner