Return to the Clivia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lighting, flowering frequency, seed sites, etc...

Posted by rredbbeard SE CT USA/zone 6 (rredbbeard@aol.com) on
Fri, Apr 6, 07 at 20:42

I just noticed this section of the GardenWeb, which must be somewhat new? I have been growing clivia as an amateur for about 20 years, and have starting to accumulate more clivia of different types over the past several years.

I have found that clivia thrive on being ignored for the most part. Mine have done best when I put them in heavy shade during the summer months, with 'normal' watering and feeding, but they are definitely LOW light plants. Most of mine spend the summer on a north-facing porch. In the winter, I have found that the best blooming is from those that are in the darker corners, away from direct light.

I have had flower heads that self-destruct because they don't get out of the crown. Most of these have been on plants where it is somewhat warmer and brighter than the successful bloomers. Of course I want the seeds! I start lots of little plants and give them away, so more people will get into clivia appreciation!

I just bought a few variegated plants from a very good and reasonably-priced supplier in China, plus seed for yellow Daruma type clivia. If you would like contact info, go to my member page and email me directly. eBay can be a good source for plants and seed too.

There are a number of clivia clubs too. I know there is one forming here in Eastern CT...

Happy growing!

Rick in CT

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lighting, flowering frequency, seed sites, etc...

• Posted by dries South Africa (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 8, 07 at 9:12

Hi Rick,
Welcome. Thanks for your contribution!!
Normally the flowering in the base occurs when they flower out of season.
Refer my website below. Please stay in touch.
Dries

Here is a link that might be useful: My website

o

Hi Dries--I think the flowering problem is related to insufficient coolness in the winter. It gets as low as C12*, but I have no problems with the plants that get ~C10* with lower winter light in another area. Yeah, I live like a penguin!

I was unable to access your web site via the GW link. Can you send it to me directly?

Thanks!

--Rick

o

• Posted by dries South Africa (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 15, 07 at 14:22

Just trying the link to my website again/
Dries

Here is a link that might be useful: My website

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clivia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here