Return to the Clivia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Clivia flowering

Posted by rosegrowernb zone 4B (My Page) on
Tue, May 14, 13 at 10:10

New to this forum >Have three clivias a mother and 2 babies I use regular peat perlite ,vermiculite soil. Is that OK?
Also is one required to use 20 20 20 water soluable fertilizer? My clivia sat dormant for a month with no watering the it tried to flower about a month ago and put out a flower stem that didnt come out of the leaves, it just wilted away any ideas? Does this plant like to be potbound my clivias large one is in a 8 inch pot.Thanks..

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Clivia flowering

Vermiculite tends to retain water. Soil, bark, perilite is what I use to make a fast draining mix. Did you give it a cold period to make sure the bloom elongated? That would be my best suggestion. And when you repot it will give you a chance to look at the roots. Hope that helps!!

o

A cold period, No I understood one just quit watering for a month, How cold and for how long??? Thanks for reply...Jack

o

Standard advice is to give clivias 6-8 weeks of temperatures under 50F in the fall along with little or no water or food for about three months. They do not need to be in low light or pot bound to bloom. This assumes you have fertilized regularly for the other nine months of the year. Use a fertilizer with a 3-1-2 ratio and all minors. I have some variegated Chinese daruma clivias that bloom regularly without a temperature change or a dry period and some other clivias that clearly need both.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clivia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here