Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cocoabeachlorax

Do I understand Clivia blooms correctly ?

cocoabeachlorax
13 years ago

My dear old Dad sent me a white flower farms Clivia almost 8 years ago. It bloomed so beautifully for the first two years. He has several Clivia of his own up in NY that bloom and rebloom reliably. I took his advice (they don't need frequent watering and prefer to be slightly root bound) and so I've watered when the soil dried, left it in the original pot, and watched year after year as it has failed to bloom. I have given it some miracle grow or a similar plant food at least once every 6 months. So I finally gave in to the power of the google. It looks to me like since this is a house plant, and being in Central Florida our interior temperature never gets much below 68 degrees for but a few nights, that it is not getting the prolonged cold it would need to set blooms ? Do I understand that correctly ?

If that is correct, could I set it on the porch from say November through February and would that maybe help set some blooms ?

It's a gorgeous plant based on foliage alone so I'm a little hesitant to set it outside where the wee beasties might get at it (pests, snails, etc.).

Any education or advice is welcomed. Thank you.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting