Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
schifferle

New to Clivias: potting soil question

schifferle
14 years ago

What are recommendations for a growing medium for my Clivia? I've read that the bags of regular potting soil are a no no and an airier mix is needed so the roots don't rot. (Also that they need to be pot bound in order to bloom.) There are specialized bagged mixes for African Violets and for Orchids, but not for Clivias.

Comments (8)

• consentida
    14 years ago

I'll be watching this thread! Can the experts please let us know?
    schifferle, I'm in the same situation as you. I'm new to clivias and I'm germinating some seeds. The next step is to plant them in soil!!

• meyermike_1micha
    14 years ago

Let's see....

Depending on your area and watering habits, Clivia will just about grow in anything! They are prone to rot easily if soil is kept wet too long...

Up here in Mass, where my winters are long and some summers can be very wet, I plant mine in a soiless mix with NO , I mean NO peatmoss what so ever...
    I use the gritty mix talked about on the container forums and I can water all I want, and never a worry!
    It has been raining for 3 days at temps in the 40's and they are still thriving under my trees. I like the security of knowing the roots are safe...

I know some around my area that grow them in just pine bark and sand. This too can work.
    There's do just as well as mine.
    I know some that plant them in straight turface.
    I know some that plant them in just leaf mold, while others in pure coconut fibers such as I have done..

The point is, they will grow in anything that is fast draining and allows the root to breathe. Any small particle stuff such as peat,fine sand,powders of certain organic fertilizers,media that contains particle matter smaller than a pea size, will almost certainly collapse over time a suffocate your roots causing rot.

You could plant them in marbles if you are willing to stand over them and water several times a day..lol
    Get my point....;-)

Just use what you know will drain well and dry out appropiatly for your enviromental conditions your plant will be in.
    If you live in a hot area, a soiless mix that will stay moist longer works. If in an area prone to cool weather and short days, a mix that will dry out quicker works.
    You will figure it out..:-)

By the way, what kind of conditions will your plant be in.
    Never give direct sun...
    If you live in Kansas, then I personally would plant them in a gritty mix....
    Or 5 parts bark,1 part peat, 1 part perlite...
    You can learn the mixes on the container forum again. You will love the info and ever be so greatful for it!
    Mike

• schifferle
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I was planning on growing it in a room in my house where my cats can't get at it. It has a western facing window, but I have blinds I can adjust to keep out the intense western light. Even with A/C, the room is warm in the summer & chilly, not cold, in the winter because it's over the garage. I don't really have a good place for it outside during the summer. I have a couple huskies, actually one in particular, who sometimes will not suffer a plant to live if she finds it of interest. It wouldn't do the plant OR her any good if she took a "liking" to it. I'll be sure to check out the container forum. Thank you for your help!

• meyermike_1micha
    14 years ago

Hi..So sorry it took me awhile to come back..

I was thinking about this...

I would definately pot your clivias into the gritty mix suggested by Al in the container forums..GREAT soiless mix that will be vertually root rot free...

That is what I use....

Give it a shot, ok, you won't go wrong..:-)

• bragu_DSM 5
    7 years ago

lava rock, drains well and allows roots to breathe. plastic milk jug with holes in the bottom for drainage.

• Sheila
    6 years ago

I was just gifted with a nice size plant. I understand the medium question, I'm wondering about clay vs plastic pots. Also what size pot? I've read that they like to be pot bound. This division has a solid mass of roots. Some of those roots are the diameter of my little finger. Do I just twirl them around into a ball and pack them into a pot? Or must I spread these roots and have them all in contact with the new media.

Schifferle, just realized I've hijacked your post. My apologies. I'll start a new thread.

• mailan55
    6 years ago

I also live in Northern California not too far from the coast. I recently started to grow clivia from seeds. I would like to know how to best fertilize my seedlings now that they have two leaves and what soils I should use for this climate. Thank you, Michelle!

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting