Return to the Clivia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mystery of the non-blooming clivia in the cold climate

Posted by magala WA (My Page) on
Sun, May 10, 09 at 14:44

I have a potted clivia miniata that's about six years old, purchased from a commerical nursery and grown by me in Seattle since then.

Once, it bloomed, just about five or six blossoms on one stem. Since then, it hasn't bloomed, but continues to sprout new plantlets every year. Right now it's one large parent and five plantlets in an 8" pot.

In the summer it gets about six hours of sun a day, and occasional watering. In the winter I put it in the basement (55 degrees or so) and don't water it.

The foliage is dense and dark green and glossy, and I pull off about two-four dying exterior leaves per year.

No flowers. What can I change?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mystery of the non-blooming clivia in the cold climate

Well, I water mine 2X/week. They are in lots of light (greenhouse within the house), temp varies from high 60's to low 80's. In summer, I set them out, but in the shade as the leaves tend to burn in direct sunlight. Blooms at least once a year, sometimes twice. I treat them as normal houseplants. I hope this helps. I've got plenty of seed pods formed, if you would like to try some.

o

• Posted by krns 63040 (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 16, 09 at 10:57

I have a clivia that is at least 10+ years old. It has only bloomed once in all this time. I keep it in the house at all times and it is next to a window, but no direct sunlight ever. I have used Schultz plant food and still no blooms. This spring I repotted the clivia thinking maybe that is what it needed and still no blooms. New leaves, but no blooms.

o

krns,

All 3 of mine are currently blooming again! I set them out on the deck in bright, not direct light. Temps have been ranging from the 40's at night to the high 70's by day. I'm still watering 2X a week. Miracle Gro 2X a month. I'm wondering. I do give my (all) plants SuperThrive once a month. Could that be it? Come to think of it, my night blooming cereus blooms every 2 months, and my orchids bloom quite often, too. Hmmm.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clivia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here