Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
garnet69

Newbie Question on Clivia Seed

garnet69
12 years ago

Just recently germinated a clivia seed between wet paper towels and now I have a white stem or root emerging. My problem is I don't know how to plant the seed. Is this the root or the stem? Does it go down into the pot or facing upwards? Stupid I know but I paid a pretty penny for this one seed and I don't want to mess it up. Thanks.

Garnet

Comments (15)

• monet_g
    12 years ago

Garnet,
    That's the root. Just place the root into a lose potting medium while leaving the seed on top.
    Gail

• garnet69
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the info Gail. When I went back to check there was a little green shoot emerging from one side of the white root so naturally I planted the seed with the shoot facing up and the root facing downward. Boy, don't I sound like a real genius :D Now, only 4 or 5 years to go before I see my first yellow clivia bloom. At least I hope it will be yellow.
    Garnet

• CliviaUSA
    12 years ago

you can tell if the plant is on the right track to yellow even now, that little green shoot, if it has ANY color other than green, is going to be in the orange to pastel/peach range. pure "Clear" green means it will be either yellow, peach, apricot or pink ;)

• izharhaq
    12 years ago

CliviaUSA, it will be very helpful if you have any pictorial reference for that. TIA

• garnet69
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here is a picture of mine taken on a macro setting with natural light for more accurate colour. If those parameters are correct, mine looks not to be the yellow I paid for. I just don't understand why it's so difficult to find a yellow clivia in Canada - make that an affordable yellow clivia in Canada.

{{gwi:571871}}

{{gwi:571872}}

• garnet69
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Jon, thank you so much for your valuable information. I have indeed found a reputable breeder who sells the clivia I so desperately desire, albeit at a pretty penny. Although it is a plant they sell and not seed, so I will not have to wait 5 years for a bloom. Still, I love to watch plants grow from seed so despite my seed not being the yellow I wanted I will still continue to nurture and watch her grow, mostly for the pure curiosity of seeing what colour the flower will be.

I appreciate your input and the link.

Garnet

• CliviaUSA
    12 years ago

Not a problem :)

Even on a plant you can see if its pure green, it can be a bit more difficult on a big plant but on seedlings your looking for the exact same thing.

• izharhaq
    12 years ago

Thank you so much Jon for your expert reply, I am bothering you last time on this (hope you will not mind), here is my seedling can you guess the color it may have:

{{gwi:571815}}

(my name is Izhar & TIA = Thanks In Advance) :D

• CliviaUSA
    12 years ago

Looks like you have twins there! If thats correct I would guess clear base from the right sided one. It can be really difficult to tell sometimes but I think both are clear base. (Those darker green ones fool me sometimes)

• izharhaq
    12 years ago

Jon, if I am lucky enough there are now three years to go!!!! :)

• ssk22 Ohio 5b
    12 years ago

I had three seeds,they sprouted,then it was too cool for them a n they developed a fungus. I washed them off, but the roots were dark.are they a goner or will they re- sprout a new root?

• ssk22 Ohio 5b
    12 years ago

I tried to move my message to my own post,it won't let me

• monet_g
    12 years ago

It's highly doubtful that they will grow a new root. If they were valuable seeds, I would continue to tend to them and hope for the best.
    Gail

• CliviaUSA
    12 years ago

ssk:

take the seed and look at where the root used to be, if theres a hole into the seed now...its over, you cant get a radical from that again. If theres still some bit of root on the seed theres a couple things you can try (but as Gail said its not looking to great for you)

1: Rooting hormone paste: You can make a paste from pretty much any rooting hormone and smear it onto what is left of the root. Make sure to water with fungicide.

2: Super thrive and fungicide water:

Sometimes when we have a seed that just wont take and its something special I will make a mix of superthrive and some fungicide and give it a 2 day soak in that mix. Superthrive is Vit. B and rooting Hormones. This is akin to bringing the seed to a witch doctor to bless it most likely but it cant hurt!!

I have seen old seeds really push once I have done this, but its been far from scientifically proven to work. 1 drop per gallon on the superthrive. Captan for the fungicide.

I cannot stress enough how important it is to water with a fungicide like Captan when growing these. It will cut your losses down by a very large %.

• ssk22 Ohio 5b
    12 years ago

CliviaUSA
    Thanks for the info.I will try it, one of the seeds were soft,but two were firm.I will try the soak and hope for the best

Sharon

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus