Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stokergiles

Advice on new clivia

stokergiles
15 years ago

I've just adopted a large clivia plant, and I think it might need to be repotted. The roots are poking up through the soil, and the main plant seems to be growing out of the pot! I've read that clivias like to be pot-bound, but this seems to be too much. What do you think? What's a good medium for clivias? I think I've seen different people suggest either all peat, or loose orchid mix - seems like quite a difference.

Second question. There's a large flower stem, and it looks like there might be buds, but I haven't seen a clivia bud before. Has this just finished flowering, or will it flower soon? How long after flowering before one will flower again? If this has just finished, should I trim off all/some of the flower stem?

It looks like there's some moss growing on the exposed roots. Is that something to worry about?

This is my first clivia, so any other advice you might have regarding this plant would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

{{gwi:88035}}

{{gwi:88036}}

{{gwi:88037}}

{{gwi:88038}}

{{gwi:88039}}

Comments (6)

• stokergiles
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I knew I was forgetting something: if I wanted to divide the pup from th parent, how would I do so? Will I need to cut or break it off, or will it just come off? I'll probably keep it on for the summer - too many plants outdoors to take care of! - unless it is recommended to separate them.

• craigr2006
    15 years ago

Hi,

Several good questions. Potting it up in a loose orchid mix is fine. I'd keep that small pup attached. It is too close to the mother to take off easily with enough base and roots to do well on its own. As for the stalk, they look either spent or recently pollinated. Over the next month, they will either shrivel up and fall off or swell and produce seeds to be harvested about Jan. Hopefully this helps. Enjoy your new plant.

Craig

• stokergiles
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Craig. It's good to know that some of the "berries" are supposed to fall off, while other redden.

• meyermike_1micha
    15 years ago

FYI....Clivias grow in just about anything that drains very well and fast!!! You can even grow them in leaf mold, orchard mix, plain peatposs, strait coconut coir and even pebbles if you make sure they are watered well and don't over dry. They are so so easy to grow. I have them growing in everything except potting soil. They are all doing well, but the one I grew in potting soil did no good. That soil always stayed wet to long. I should of lightened it up with extra perlite or something. So I use mediums that drain and dry fast.
    Don't forget to give them lots of just light,not sun all spring in summer so they can get strong enough to produce blossoms for the next year. Lots of light not direct afternoon sun, or they will scourch. late in the afternoon or early morning sun is perfect. Even under trees where you get speckeld lite.
    Feed them heavily and and stop at end of fall. Pull back on light, food and water about October and store in a cool dry place. I gaureentee you you will get them to blossom like I do. They must have at least 6 leaves on each side to do so, cause then they are mature enough to send off flowers for you.
    Hope this helps. Remember, treat them as violets, and you will have great sucess!!! Hope this helps you
    P.S. I would say that 80% of my 30 clivias are growing in Al's mix...THE BEST..They love it!!!! look it up in the containerized soil post. You will not go wrong. You can leaving them in wet rains outside all summer like I did, and never loose a one to rot!!
    Mike

• annie1971
    15 years ago

Mike,
    I've been wandering the garden forums to find some help with my clivias. Your post here is as helpful as the sum of several other posts together. Thanks! I hope stokergiles got as much insight from your comments as I have.
    Annie

• meyermike_1micha
    15 years ago

Thankyou Annie!!:-)
    Hope your doing ok with your plants. Would love for you to post them someday...Take care ok.
    Mike

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County