Return to the Clivia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A healthy Clivia

Posted by jon_z6b (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 13, 12 at 12:12

She seems to be pretty happy... no special potting mix or any of that (pretty much just straight garden soil). Yeah, I know, It's about time to divide.

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A healthy Clivia

Jon,

That is a beauty for sure, lovely flower and great wide leaves, I am a fan of the wide leaves and shorter stature..and look at all the flower spikes! You could always just lift it out of that pot and plop the whole thing in a larger pot and forget about it for the next 10 years..just think of all those lovely flower..!! Just look at that gorgeous offset!

I'm new to this clivia thing, all my plants were started from seeds a few years ago and I purchased several from Ebay that are about the same age. So,I must wait and, I'll have to enjoy mine through other people's flowers for the time being...:-)

Donna

o

Very nice. I'm surprised to see it blooming now. I think mine bloom in the fall or winter (cannot remember exactly).

o

Sorry but with all those blooms (beautiful) it is not time to repot until they are finished.
Bill

o

That's exactly what's been holding me back Otnorot...
Mainly so as not to disturb seed production. Two years running I have tried to cross it with a red Hippeastrum.
This seedling looks different enough from the others that I'm hoping it might be a hybrid:

Photobucket

This year I put pollen from an Amarcrinum on it.. so I still have to wait to divide it.

o

Sorry, that looks like many of the clivias I have grown from seed and nothing like an amaryllis. Many have tried to cross clivias with hippeastrums and there is not one instance in which genetic analysis has shown they succeeded. They are distant relatives with different genes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clivia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here