Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bronxfigs

Clivia, ....Intergeneric crosses ????

Can Clivia miniata be crossed with any other Amaryllids,....e.g. Saraxis, etc.? Has any work/breeding been done with these type crosses? I read that Clivia and Hippeastrum were crossed, but, who knows, what resulted?

Just wondering out loud. Please, some facts/opinions/information.

Thanks, Frank

Comments (4)

• bronxfigs: New York City/7b
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I should have just done a little more research to know that two different plant families can't be crossed.

But the question still stands re: other Amaryllids, possibly, Cyrthantus sanguineus?

BronxFigs

• jon_z6b
    12 years ago

This is the second year that I've crossed Clivia miniata x Hippeastrum. Both years the crosses seem to have taken well.
    I used the regular 'Belgium hybrid' clivia and what I believe to be 'Red Lion' hippeastrum (although my hippeastrum VERY reluctantly sets seed... which makes me think that it is a triploid... so it might not be 'Red Lion'). This year I was also VERY careful to time the pollination of the clivia right before the flowers started to open.

This is the clivia I used:
    {{gwi:571999}}

This is the hippeastrum I used:
    {{gwi:430712}}

OK, I initially had seven seedlings from last years' cross. I have lost all except for three due to what I believe to be 'red spot' disease (Stagonospora curtisii). I also destroyed most of my hippeastrums last year due to this disease, but my clivia mother plant seems to be completely immune to it.
    The fact that my clivia seedlings seem to be more or less susceptible to it may be an indication that they are true hybrids.

{{gwi:572000}}

{{gwi:572001}}

This leads to a question for you clivia types. Can Tebuconazole be used to control this disease?

Some other thoughts. Take a look at this pic:
    {{gwi:572002}}

The scape on the right is the one I pollinated with hippeastrum. The one on the left I completely left alone (to open pollinate as it would). I have twice as many berries on the OP scape than the one I purposefully pollinated. I wouldn't have expected so many "open" pollinations on the un-pollinated scape. This sort of leads me to think that this is because of apomixis (...which would also suggest the belgium hybrid is a tetraploid).

I have also been playing around with some other amaryllis family intergeneric hybrids.
    This year I attempted an Amarcrinum x Lycoris squamigera.
    -as to be expected none of those took.
    I also attempted a (red) Lycoris radiata x Amarcrinum. It looks like I may end up with a couple "takes" from this cross (and again I was very careful in timing the pollination).

I've had OP seed develop on my radiata before- but I've never been successful in germinating them (they've always turned to rot). So another question here. Could I treat my soil with Tebuconazole as well? Do you think this would harm germination or be affective against rot?

• twizzlestick
    12 years ago

Jon
    Stagonospora curtisii is a fungal disease. You can rid it by dusting with sulfer powder or captan to completely eliminate it.

This was interesting though, thanks and keep an update on what the little one does.

• Jon Oliver
    3 years ago

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES