Return to the Clivia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Germination success rates?

Posted by rredbbeard SE CT USA/zone 6 (rredbbeard@yahoo.com) on
Thu, Sep 15, 11 at 17:02

Even though I'm a major advocate of using just peat moss for clivia seedlings, I'm not sure that this is the best medium for initial germination. I'm wondering what else might give a better success rate.

I usually give my seeds a dip in Physan, or similar, and then plant in medium that I sterilize myself. Let me know what works best for you, and what your results have been.

Part of the reason I'm asking is that I just ordered seeds from Mr. Han at LovableChina, and expect them next month.

Thanks!

--Rick.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Germination success rates?

Rick,
I have great results with Coconut Husk Chips. They hold moisture well and, because of the square shape, have a lot of air pockets. They also seems to have anti-fungal properties.

Generally, the only seeds that I have problems with are old seeds. If they're fresh, they germinate and grow on. I keep the seedlings in the CHCs until they're about two years old.

Good luck on your new seeds.

o

How large are the chips that you use?

o

I've had equal success with both the small and the medium sizes, but I like the medium the best - larger air pockets.

o

We have used vermiculite and perlite with good success, with an undersoil of our normal clivia mix. We have our germination instructions on the website.

I would suggest you only by PLANTS from Mr. Han. If you would like to know why email me.

-Jon

o

Jon--I'd like to contact you but I don't see your email addy. Drop me a note via the email on my GW page.

Thanks,

--Rr

o

I second the vote for only buying plants!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clivia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here