Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paulzie32

Totally ignorant to care and would like to get one.

paulzie32
16 years ago

Hey Everyone,

I had been introduced to this plant many years ago when at a friends house. His mom had one she kept at the top of the stairs in their home, in a location that got almost NO light! I don't recall if it was she or a television program that had mentioned a Clivia in a window was a sign of.... Something and I recall what!

My questions, Before I buy one:

1. Can these plants really be kept looking good in a dimly lit room? I have a condo with almost NO sunlight as the building runs East-West so I need something that can handle VERY low light.

2. What kind of watering do they need? Damp or dry between waterings?

3. Any tricks to getting them to bloom or do they do it like clockwork? What I mean is do they have a dormant period and need a bit of a chill or dark period before they'll bloom? I have an Amaryllis and it's only bloomed once for me in 3 years and it's leaves are really long and pale. They don't stand on their own :-( will I have the same problem with a clivia?

4. Will a variegated clivia do better or worse in low light?

5. Does anyone know what they are a symbol of? I know I saw it on a movie where there was a reference made about them... Are they a symbol of Wealth or maybe just how to find a room for rent or a guest house? I wish I could remember... I think I'm suffering from CRS ;-)

and last and silly question I'm sure... Any one have one they'd like to trade? hahaha can't hurt to ask right?

Thanks in advance.

Comments (11)

• k0okie
    16 years ago

Answers as best as I can...

1. Yes, they do best in 80% shade. They will actually burn in direct sunlight so a dim room is just fine as long as its not a dark basement with no light whatso ever
    2. As far as I can tell they like to be soaked right through and then let dry almost completely during the spring and summer months. Kept almost dry during the winter.
    3. They need a winter rest where they will be kept dry and quite cool. Usually November to January. They will then bloom. HOWEVER... I didnt know this when i first got mine and it bloomed for me without its rest.
    4. I'm not sure I only have solid green.
    5. No clue about what they are a symbol of either.

• paulzie32
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks k0okie,
    I appreciate your answers. It gives me a start and now I can keep my eyes open for one when I'm out.
    I was hoping for a few more responses on what they are a symbol of. It's going to drive me nuts!

Thanks again for taking the time.

• mmrivera1
    16 years ago

HI....I just wanted you to know that I have several variated clivia and yellow one to...I for a fact know that from my experience no plant likes low light in a house except for Peace Lillies...Even palms need medium light.
    I did put my clivias in low light thinking the same as u...and all that happened was that my leaves turned yellow and rotted off, and the soil stayed wet to long. Especially on my variegated ones. They like medium light preferable morning or late in the day sun light.Teat them like u would violets. The day sun will scorch them especially the variegated ones. If you have none then a good garage over head flourescent light will do. In fact I am growing 30 under this type of light in my cellar and they love it. It also encourages them to grow in perfect semetry shape, straight up,one leaf over the other. If they face a light source from an angle the same way all the time..Then the leave start to twist and you get no uniformity. U need to constantly rotate them.
    Good luck with them. Keep them in well draining soil..I like Cococunt Coir. Or just peat and just keep them moist . Not wet nor completely dry..More on the dry side if you are putting them in a cool darker place for rest to flower...From November to January.
    Good sucess with them...And don't forget to feed them only during the growing months....Dynagro is my preference along with Neptunes Harvest.

• paulzie32
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you mmrivera1. I will keep it all in mind when I finally get one. :-)
    Ya know, I was in LA last week and flew into LAX and would swear I saw a bunch planted along the exit of the airport!

Don't suppose anyone would have one they'd like to share for postage? Or trade? I have a few different types of cactus.

• kelpmermaid
    16 years ago

Paulzie, you may very well have seen clivia at LAX, particularly on the lower level. They do very well around here in the shade.

Now, I, too, will be wondering what they symbolize. I have one in a pot by my front door.

• paulzie32
    Original Author
    16 years ago

kelpmermaid, If you find out what it symbolizes, Please, Let me know!

• vancleaveterry
    16 years ago

I saw a Clivia growing in the ground along a pathway on Alcatraz island in San Francisco Bay.

• craigr2006
    16 years ago

Hi,

When you start looking for them in So. Cal you will find them. Even here in Sacramento, there are a couple of us growing them in front yards.

The variegated ones will burn a lot more readily in sunlight, but also require brighter light conditions. As far as low light, I've seen them growing in an undergound parking structure in Orange County. I've since spoken with the original landscaper and he says they are all gone now. Oh well, they were a beautiful sight in full bloom.

If any one is interested in some, the oranges and yellow basic (no variegation, average leaf width etc) plants are fairly cheap. Between now and April, I can probably get the yellows direct from a local grower for about $15 in bud (1st time bloom). Shipping is about $10-12 priority to the east coast and a bit less out west. I'd even trade for some nice cymbidiums or hanging cymbidiums.

have a great wekeend,
    Craig
    Sacramento, CA
    Rugg1999@prodigy.net

• paulzie32
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I was just out in San Jose and drove through San Fransisco where I was stopped at a light. To the left was a book store with a large pot outfront that was filled with several healty Clivia with several clusters of seeds on stalks, I really wanted to get out and grab some, but I wasn't driving and we were already late for an appointment. If they seem to grow so easily out there, why are they so expensive?
    I also noticed Calla lillies growing wild all along the coast road on my way up to Mendocino... but thats another topic.
    Well, if anyone has a few seeds to spare...

• craigr2006
    15 years ago

Hi PAulize,

I'm not sure why they are so expensive. You can now get basic orange ones at Home Depot for about $7 I think. The yellows are still $35+ retail. Part of the reason they are so expensive is very few growers actually grow them commercially, they take 5 years to bloom from seed, not a lot of demand yet, .... The potential with Clivias is so great, since they are so easy to pollinate and they offset so well. In time. I've seen interest in Clivias going up every year. Most people have never een heard/seen one. Once they see them in bloom, things change.

Take care,
    Craig
    Sacramento, CA

• paulzie32
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Home Depot? I should have looked there while I was out there. They don't sell them here in Florida in Home Depot. Or I should say I haven't seen them.

Well, If I end up out there again soon, I'm going to keep my eyes open. If I see some with seeds, I'm gonna see about nicking a few.

Thanks Craig

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville