Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maimiti_gw

Is this Clivia nobilis?

maimiti
17 years ago

I recieved this plant many years ago labelled Clivia nobilis. It has flowered many times but always with sparse umbels. I have compared with photos of Clivia nobilis found on the internet but I don't think it looks like the others I find. However, I am usure if the few flowers per umbel in my plant compared with the dense umbels I see in photos confuses the eye...

{{gwi:572767}}

Comments (8)

• dries
    17 years ago

Maimiti,
    The easiest way to tell is from the leaves. Nobilis has serated leaves (edges). It also has a distinct form at the tip of the leaf which can not be seen on your photo (a sort of rounded tip). Can you post a photo of the the leaf tip? Nobilis is also the slowest grower of all Clivia species but a valuable part of any collection. It is often used in hybridizing.
    Yousrs is a beautiful colour!!
    Regards
    Dries

• maimiti
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Dries,
    This is a fast grower. Actually, all my Clivias grow extremely slow exept for this one. It has about 10 babies now but that is what it has produced for 3-4 years. I gave all the previous babies away a few years ago and that was about 10 that time too so it reproduces readily. I have another Clivia that I recieved as C. caulescense and it hasn't grown a bit since I got it two years ago.

Attatching photos of the whole plant and leaf tip of C. nobilis (?).

{{gwi:572768}}

{{gwi:572769}}

• dries
    17 years ago

I think this is a Gardenii defenitely not Nobilis. See the link I posted on the Clivia Species earlier today.
    I maintain that the flower colour is special!!
    Regards
    Dries

• maimiti
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you Dries,
    Yes, I looked at the link you posted earlier and I bookmarked it too as I really liked the site. Lots of useful information.

The color of these flowers are very nice and I've actually not seen them elsewhere. I don't know if the color is due to growing conditions. I've always had the plant in a window facing north. It's also the only one of my Clivias that flowers regularly, most of them don't flower at all, but I've always been hoping for more dense umbels.

// Maggie

• maimiti
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I found a website with some Clivias, unfortunately it's in Swedish but the photos are international ;) Anyway, there is a Clivia caulescens there that actually looks a lot like my plant.

Here is a link that might be useful: CLIVIA CAULESCENS, ART

• gideons_clivias
    17 years ago

That is a fabulously coloured gardenii, the nobilis has a notched leaf as Dries indicated, I have also found them to have a larger number of flowers

Here are some pics of 'Wild nobilis'

{{gwi:572770}}

{{gwi:572771}}

{{gwi:572773}}

{{gwi:572775}}

Regards
    Gideon
    www.cliviabase.co.za

• dries
    17 years ago

Gideon,
    Welcome and thanks for your contribution!!
    To all you members on this Forum, see Gideon's forum on his own website!! It is a small group but growing and very active!! I see Forums as complimentary and not as substitutes?
    Regards
    Dries

• maimiti
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Lovely photos Gideon :)
    Thank you.

Sponsored