Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karyn1_gw

recently sprouted seedlings

karyn1
17 years ago

I have a few clivia that I started from seed. They only have a tiny bit of a leaf poking through the soil. Should I keep them under grow lights over the winter? Will they do better under the fluorescent or the HID lights? The HID lights give off quite a bit of heat, the fluorescent bulbs run cool.

Thanks,

Karyn

Comments (8)

• shaunsarctic_orchids
    17 years ago

I grow my Clivia seedlings under fluorescent tubes along with orchid seedlings (only drier). Just remember to gradually acclimatize them to brighter light when you have more roots and want more growth. With 48" bulbs centered on the bulb and fairly close to the bulb has more light energy for plants. I started at the outside edge of the bulbs and moved them closer and more to the middle as they grew.

Shaun

• karyn1
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks. It's such a disaster in my house right now. An early frost was predicted so I quickly brought everything in, about 400 container plants! Now I just have to dig through the mess to find the clivias. lol
    Karyn

• birdsnblooms
    17 years ago

Karyn, I know what you mean..I too have about 400 plants..Many were outside..so what happens? It starts snowing LOL. You should have seen me running to haul my plants inside..lol..toni

• karyn1
    Original Author
    17 years ago

OMG Toni, you had snow already?! And I thought a couple early frosts were bad. Yikes! I hope you managed to get everything in.
    Karyn

• birdsnblooms
    17 years ago

Karyn, I got all in but my poor bananas that's growing in the ground, and an ivy collection..the ivy collection is doing great, but the bananas are frosted..I feel terrible but everytime I plannen on digging them up, it rain..like today..sigh
    BTW, I wanted to mention, since your Clivia seedlings are still small, if they were mine I'd keep them under lights this winter. WAit until they're taller, then when you're ready, repot in smallesh containers. Good luck, Toni

• karyn1
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I did put them under the lights but I don't think those damn plants are ever going to get bigger! I've never seen such a slow growing plant in my life. The biggest one is only about an inch tall : ( I love growing plants from seed and usually get a good deal of satisfaction from it but the clivias are really trying my patience. lol At least my husband is going to get me a yellow from one of his Canadian suppliers. My kids will probably be in college by the time I get blooms from my seedlings :-0
    Karyn

• beth_b_kodiak
    17 years ago

Slow is the operative word there. I've had some keep just one leaf for almost a year. Isn't it funny to celebrate a plant getting it's second leaf after that long.
    Gardeners are funny people.
    BB

• birdsnblooms
    17 years ago

Karyn, the only slower growing plant, other than my baby Clives, are a few Sanseverias..You asked which lights would be best..IMO I'd say the cool flourescents..too warm and next spring no flowers, that is unless there still too young to bloom, and even then I'd go w/the cooler lights.
    We're not going to see much growth now that winter's here. I know most ppl consider Clivias a shade plant, but in summer mine are set in the yard w/good light, including direct sun. Toni

Sponsored