Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ryan820

New to Clivias... and I have a few questions

ryan820
15 years ago

I've been reading a lot about clivias as I'm new to this plant. The plant I got came bareroot and I need to pot it up. The plant is terribly big though it has a bunch of leaves. I know the plants enjoys a bit of root snugness so I think I have a nice sized pot for it.

I just moved to a new place and there isn't much direct sun light coming through any of the windows/on the patio. I think this should be ok as I've read clivias enjoy indirect light anyway.

I know I need to plant the thing in fast draining, easily dried soil-- so I have made up a soil mix with some potting soil but a lot of perlite (a 1/3 to 2/3 mix respectively). Is this sufficient? Also, how much of the plant goes below the soil line?

It is October now so if I want a chance at it blooming, I will be very careful on the watering-- however, i know this plant also likes it chilly/cool so take it through its natural cycle. How cold is too cold? I live in Colorado so it can get insanely cold but only for short times. Usually it'll be in the 40's and 50's during the day, freezing at night. I know this is risky, but I have some other plants that need a cooling off period, too. I would take them outside for when they have no chance of freezing and return them inside at night before temps plunge for the night.

What about fertilizer? How much, how little?

Thanks for the help,

Ryan

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations