Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
birdsnblooms

Clivia Soil

birdsnblooms
13 years ago

Hello. I have several Clivias that need repotting. (long story.) Their ages are 2-4 yrs old.

What is the best mix?

Also, do Clivias require acidic soil? Thanks so much, Toni

Comments (11)

• monet_g
    13 years ago

If they are small with, say, five leaves or less I would put them in Coconut Husk Chips. If they're more mature I would put them in Al's Gritty Mix. Yes, they do like acidic soil. I add vinegar to the water.
    Gail

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Gail, thanks. No one answered, and my young Clivias were out of pots. I couldn't wait any longer, so I had to pot them. I ended up using the same mix I used for my 28-yr-old Clivia, which consist of potting mix, peat, and Perlite. They're potted in clay pots. Thanks, Toni

• meyermike_1micha
    13 years ago

Hi Toni..This is one of the slowest forums I have ver seen..

Here you can send a hello to someone, and they will send a hello back months later...lol

Good to see you here..I am sure the mix you picked will work wonders for you since your other clivias look amazing.. Great work with yours..

Mike

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hey Mike..Yes, did everyone sell their Clivias and start collecting Aloes? lol..
    Anyway, I made a mix with a bunch of this and that, lol, so we'll see how it works. One problem is the room my Clivias in can get very cold in winter..
    And I've never found the sand w/grit, so I'm stuck. I can't believe HD or whatever company that packaged the sand was, got so cheap.
    I ended up adding orchid mix and pebbles to the soil..lol..

Mike, I got two orders today, but the plants are cold..I pray they don't die..they're gorgoues, but wilty. I covered the roots w/dust rags..lol..Toni

• meyermike_1micha
    13 years ago

Lol..I know..That catus forum has been quite busy lately!

Toni..

Clivia can take very cold temps, and in fact seem to do much better in it for weeks when wanting to set flowers and rest..Just becareful not to water these plants too much..You can hold off on watering them for days, even after the pot has dried out..

If I could afford to send you sand, I would..I can get lots of it for cheap here..The very coarse one of course..By local Bonsai shop loves that stuff..

Toni..In all the years growing these babies, I find they can grow in most anything, as long as it is an open mix drains well..I even grew them in potting soil. Some even had roots that escaped the pots over summer and grew huge right into my bed of bark mulch..lol

I just like the way the roots look when I don't use soil...They look so big,plump and white...:-)

Please post a picture of your two plants..I am sure they will be just fine..Was it Clivia's you got?
    I would love to see them..Congrats! You held out for more than a week before getting a new one..lol.That almost Eden's place is just FINE!!

Mike..HUG;-)

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Mike, didn't realize your replied again..lol..didn't see the email. hmm.

The young Clivias are all potted up, in a mix I made up. lol..don't ask, because it's a little of this and that. But the mix is well draining.
    Mike, in winter, my oldest/largest gets one drink. The youngsters are another thing. Some are really small, some came in 2009, but they were shipped from China.

I know what you mean about roots. I use a few tranparent, plastic pots..you can see the roots grow..it's cool.

Which two plants do you mean? lol. hugs, Toni

• meyermike_1micha
    13 years ago

"Mike, I got two orders today, but the plants are cold"

Ok, let me in and share will ya..?
    You know that my curiousity is killing me...lol.I will bet you got some real unique and beautiful ones...Boy, will we aver stop buying? Lol..We are going to have our own nurseries soon and I will have to hire employees to care for tghem while I sell my not so unusual ones...lol

Mike..:-))))))))

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    13 years ago

LOL...gonna open a plant store? Are you serious or kidding?
    Too bad I wasn't closer. Although it be difficult choosing which plants to sell, 'everyone has meaning,' I could probably find one or two...then buy more..lol.

Funny you should mention opening a business.. I've considered taking cuttings in winter, then selling on ebay. My fear is shipping..what if something goes wrong? What if ppl complain about something or other?
    Sux root farily easy, and ship better than tropicals..Especially in cool weather.

• meyermike_1micha
    13 years ago

Toni..:-)

I am serious...You could get tone of babies from your plants and e-bay them..lol This of all the return money you could make since most your plants are so pretty and unique!

What TWO plants did you pick up recently? I am still curious...

I am getting a "white Cerrus night blooming cactus" for soem one tomorrow at teh nursery...Back to a nursery I go...lol..I think I will spend hours there just like a book store...lol

Toni: All my clivia are in the cellar only under 3 hours of light and some under a 6 inch window..lol..They will rest and only get watered once every couple of weeks, although I do a light watering on the exposed roots often. They will bloom big by next year..I am already anxious!

I will be e-mailing you real soon since I have been away quite often..I have a lot to tell you..:-)

Many HUGS to you

Mike:-)

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hey Mike,

I don't know about selling on Ebay. Too many problems. I talk to quite a few sellers, and the stories they relate are horror tales. I don't want to mention names, but one person left negative feedback for a nursery owner I sometimes shop. This person signed up as, on GWD, 'not going to say the name,' but it was similar to after 12am horror. lol.. This person called the nursery owners home at midnight, 4am and 4:05am..Nice huh?

How many months do you keep your Clivias in their previous condition? Until spring? etc.

My Clivias are in a chilly room, east window, with a little reflecting artificial light and, only on the brightest days, some south. Depending on light, they'll bloom as early as Feb until July.

This wkend was warm, so out went two Gardenias..today's high was 67F. Then it started pouring..lightening and thunder, and of course, I picked this afternoon to go to a few stores. I was terrified driving in heavy rain.
    But this wkend I spent several hours working on plants. I ST'd and fertilized AV's and Hibiscus. The Hibs get timed-release but AV's liquid. Those are the only plants that get fertilized in winter, if there's sun.

I'll be waiting for your email. Take care...Getting ready for Turkey-Day??? Hugs, Toni

• meyermike_1micha
    13 years ago

Hey..Turkey day was great, how about yours? This I know..You made a whole lot of goodies...lol

I usually keep my Clivia down in the basement until it's warm enough to put them back outdoors..They never see the light of day in my house since there is no room for them..That is probably why mine bloom into July..lolOops..That is all but 3 this time around..I found a spot for three of them in my plant room far back away from the window, next to the water fountain..Looks kind of nice..

I do not even know if I would ever sell anything on E-bay..Your right..What if it takes one jerk to give you a bad rating..Too think that someone actually called like that? yikes!

Toni..I am HORRIBLE at growing violets! The worst! My only one died again..I do not understand..It is never due to over watering or watering issues..It is always due to the fcat the leaves ssem to turn a soft brown then rot off..Sort of like some leaf disease...Looks like the same problem that my begonias and grape leaves got..I think it is a leaf virus..I hate it..

The weather here is getting cold..My gardenia's are all at work doing very well..Full sun there..Let us see what the next 3 montrhs bring..You know plants are always full of suprises...Never boring, that is for sure..

Are all you clivia inside now? How are your baby ones doing? Can you post a couple of pictures? you did get a variegated one too, right? Yours look so lovely from what I remember..

Hope to hear from you soon..

Hugs too!

Mike

Sponsored
Virginia Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars151 Reviews
Virginia's Award Winning One Stop Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Resource