Return to the Clivia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Confusion

Posted by hopefulauthor z5IL (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 22, 06 at 20:48

My oldest Clivia, (24 yrs old, started from seed) blooms yrly..My question is, I've read that leaving seed on will reduce or halt the following yrs flowers. Is this true? Thanks, Toni

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Confusion

Well, it seems that when any plant puts out seed, it takes energy out of it, so that could very well be true. :) Arum

o
RE: Confusion

• Posted by dries South Africa (My Page) on
    Mon, Oct 23, 06 at 4:03

Toni,
Most clivia breeders take seeds from top plants every year, However, I agree with Arum. It may be good to skip a year from time to time (remove the seeds).
Another issue to consider, Clivia seeds flower every 12 months. Seeds are normally viable after 6 months. So, is this not the plants way to recover if seeds are picked when ready and allow the plant 6 months rest befor the next flowering?
Regards

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clivia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here