Return to the Clivia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Good morning, Clivia people.....

Posted by akmo z5/sw missouri (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 11, 06 at 10:46

Well, I haven't visited GW in awhile so I'm not sure how long this forum has been running....but I'm delighted to see it. Clivias are one of the few plants that seem to like me, so I'm pretty fond of them. I had no idea what they were many years ago when I ordered my first one, but I remember that the catalog description said "thrives on neglect". That sounds like the plant for me! I find them to be very easy, very forgiving plants. My original had a whole bunch of pups a few years back, which I'v'e mostly traded off by now. I've germinated quite a few of it's seeds, too. I seem to end up with too many children. I'm an Alaskan snowbird, so my clivia either has to go to a summertime babysitter or get planted out in the backyard to fend for itself all sumer while I'm gone. It has not minded this annual moving and repotting at all. Wonderful plant!
--Kate.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Good morning, Clivia people.....

Hi Kate..Clivia forum is basically new..It's only been around a few months.
Yes, it's true Clivia's are fairly easy to grow, as long as they're not overwatered..Number 1 killer of plants.
I started my first Clivia from seeds in 1982. Ordered the seeds from Park's Seed..at the time they were fairly inexpensive..I got 7 seed for 5.99. Not knowing what the heck I was doing, I placed seeds in a plastic cup w/o drainage and set under light. These seeds weren't even growing near a window..it took 8 months before I spotted green..I then repotted to a 4" pot, then set in an east window..at the time, we lived in an appt, so space and sun were limited. My clivia is the second oldest plant I have..the first a spider plant from 1973/4.
I love my Clivia..it blooms every spring into summer, goes outside for a summer vacation..In winter it's kept in a cool room in east windows. This past summer was the first time it hadn't bloomed, but I'm thinking the reason was because the yr before it needed repotting, so into a larger container it went. Its flowers are orange and yellow..It lives in a 10" plastic container.
Besides that, I have a small variegaetd Clivia which was given to me as a pup 2 summers ago, and another that will eventually grow yellow flowers.
What color are your flower? Sounds like you do quite a bit of digging..Toni

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clivia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here