Return to the Clivia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Should I divide this clivia

Posted by SteveCorredor 10 (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 27, 13 at 16:59

So this is my first clivia that I have. It's supposed to have a red flower. It doesn't seem like it's crowded in the container but it does have 3 mature pups and another one that is 1" tall. Should I divide it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Should I divide this clivia

another angle

o

I'm sorry this forum is so inactive. I only check it once in a while. Did you divide this Clivia yet? If not, I would wait until spring when the newly divided plants are vigorous. You can divide any time the offset looks large enough to live on its own. But there is some risk of root rot if you don't use a fast draining mix and catch them at the beginning of their growth spurt.

o

No, I read some older post and decided to wait until the spring.

I bought another Clivia from Home Depot last week and it decided to start to flower, which from what I read was uncommon for this time of year.

o

Great! They are not always on schedule. It may have been forced to flower so soon. Or it could just be a plant that flowers more than once a year. Enjoy.

o

Hey Steve,

You found a Clivia at Home Depot? Can I ask what state you live in? I've never found one at any BBS!

o

I live in Southern California. I can normally find yellow and orange clivia all the time, but I was surprised to see this red flowering clivia.

o

Teisa...My daughter got a job at UT Medical Center and will be moving to Knoxville. Maybe someday we can meet up and I'd bring you some clivias that I want to cull from my collection...free. I have too many!

Here are some of my yellows that has grown on me that you might want some. Take note that they are planted in 8-10 inch clay pots so they are big sized and hard to pack and ship out. Just finding a box to use for them is already a problem. I seldom visit this forum so just send me a message if you are interested.

This post was edited by mariava7 on Wed, Jan 29, 14 at 0:46

o

Lovely clivias! Here are some of my yellow clivias, including vico yellow, solomone yellow, Cynthia's dream, and sunrise sunset, plus two peaches: Dave Conway's Tessa and Victorian peach.

Here is a link that might be useful: Some yellow and peach clivias

o

Ohio and Maria,

Those are just beautiful! I fell in love with these plants a couple years ago when I saw the first one in bloom! The person didn't even know the name "clivia". So it took me almost a year to identify the plant!

I love the look of all the blooms among the greenery! I wish they bloomed more often (sigh)!

Maria, I've sent you an email! I think you will love Knoxville! And UT is a wonderful hospital to work at! Thank you very much for your kind offer!

Thanks for sharing everyone!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clivia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here