Return to the Clivia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to sow seeds?

Posted by hopefulauthor z5IL (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 14, 06 at 20:00

I started my orignal Clivia from seeds, they were from a nursery.
Here's my question..After flowers fade and berry's form, do you set the whole berry in soil or remove the outter layer?
SEveral yrs back, I set the entire berry in a terrarium and it germinated but took a long time. Is there a quicker way to do this? thanks, Toni

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to sow seeds?

• Posted by dries South Africa (My Page) on
    Wed, Nov 15, 06 at 21:51

Here is a link that may be useful.

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing Clivia from seed

o

I wait till the berries are soft, remove the outer covering and then the inner membrane and plant the seeds in a tray. I just use commercial potting mix.

o

I ordered seeds so they didn't have any coating. I read so much conflicting advice on germination that I just went with what the person I bought them from recommended. That was to plant them, lightly moisten the soil, cover the pot with something to keep the light out and keep them at around 65 F. They did germinate after quite a long time and as my previous post stated they are the slowest growing plant I've ever seen! They were planted this summer and the biggest is only about 2" tall now. I love growing plants from seed but this is ridiculous. My eyesight will have probably gone by the time the damn things are blooming size! lol
Karyn

o

• Posted by dries South Africa (My Page) on
    Sat, Nov 25, 06 at 8:21

Clivia takes 4 years to flower from seed. Yes, it is a long time but worth it!!
Regards
Dries

o

The way these are growing I'd be surprised if they reach the 6" mark by 4 years! lol Do they ever get a growth spurt or speed up growth at all? Is it normal for my seedlings to still be so tiny .5" to 2"? They came up within a few weeks of each other at the beginning of August. The leaves are a burgandy color, not green and yes, they are still alive. Thanks for any info. Even though I'm constantly cursing their slow growth I really do want them to live : )
Karyn

o

Clivia seedling Yes its frustrating!! This seedling is a year old! Will it ever bloom lol!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clivia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here