Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bronxfigs

Leaf-Chop when Repotting Clivia....Yes..... No....... Maybe So?

Forum Members:

Just watched a posted video of a gentleman dividing, and then repotting an overgrown Clivia. Not for nothing, but the Clivia he was dividing didn't look too healthy....with all the bleached out leaves. My guess would be that the plants should have been divided and repotted sooner. But, on to my point...

After this man divided the original plant he proceeded to trim away some of the roots, and then hacked-off most of the top-growth of leaves,.... then repotted this amputated "fan" into a container filled with some slow-draining potting-soil. I've never read anything about cutting off all the leaves when repotting Clivia. I could be very wrong, but wouldn't this kind of drastic pruning set this plant back for years??? How long might it take for this plant to grow a new rack of leaves? There was no explanation as to why the leaves were cut back. Is this some kind of a re-juvenation pruning technique that's used to rescue "sick" Clivias?

To be honest, this video left me a little confused. I would've just teased, or cut the original plants apart, cut away dead roots, dusted the cuts with a fungicide/or cinnamon and repotted in a quick-draining mix.

Critiques, opinions, comments, agree-disagree?

Comments (7)