Return to the Clivia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Leaf-Chop when Repotting Clivia....Yes..... No....... Maybe So?

Posted by BronxFigs Zone-7 (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 7, 11 at 6:14

Forum Members:

Just watched a posted video of a gentleman dividing, and then repotting an overgrown Clivia. Not for nothing, but the Clivia he was dividing didn't look too healthy....with all the bleached out leaves. My guess would be that the plants should have been divided and repotted sooner. But, on to my point...

After this man divided the original plant he proceeded to trim away some of the roots, and then hacked-off most of the top-growth of leaves,.... then repotted this amputated "fan" into a container filled with some slow-draining potting-soil. I've never read anything about cutting off all the leaves when repotting Clivia. I could be very wrong, but wouldn't this kind of drastic pruning set this plant back for years??? How long might it take for this plant to grow a new rack of leaves? There was no explanation as to why the leaves were cut back. Is this some kind of a re-juvenation pruning technique that's used to rescue "sick" Clivias?

To be honest, this video left me a little confused. I would've just teased, or cut the original plants apart, cut away dead roots, dusted the cuts with a fungicide/or cinnamon and repotted in a quick-draining mix.

Critiques, opinions, comments, agree-disagree?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Leaf-Chop when Repotting Clivia....Yes..... No....... Maybe S

I think I saw that same video. Ouch!

In some parts of the world, Clivias are somewhat of a commodity. They are probably trimmed this way to save space at the garden nursery. People buy them cheap and put them in their gardens. It would be similar to us buying a rose bush where it would be trimmed and small when purchased only to reach it's potential in 3, 4 or more years.

o

I have never seen this done to a plant except to maybe German Iris when they are divided and then replanted.

It just seems so strange to see such a drastic hack-job done to the leaves, which I imagine are the main food producers for this plant. My guess is that there is a great set-back for these chopped plants...but, maybe in that part of the world the growing season extends to 8-10 months, and the plants just take off. I wish I had such growing conditions.

Thanks Gail. Frank DV

o

Where is this video?

I would assume that since they're uneducated about the medium needed for Clivia that they're also uneducated about trimming. I would never cut off the leaves of my Clivia unless they were yellowing or showing some sort of illness.

o

Josh....
The video was posted on this forum on August, 11, 2011.... "How To ...Video of Interest" Take a look and watch this poor plant loose it's head. It's painful to watch!

Enjoy.

Frank/BronxFigs

o

Im battling a back injury so havent been around, but the root pruning of non healthy "Straw" roots is always a good idea along with some rooting hormone.

By Straw roots I mean roots that feel empty or squishy.

We trim yellowing leaves but never healthy leaves. In fact I would expect the plant you are describing to create offsets out of its center as opposed to creating new leaf growth which is basically the end for the original plant in all the times I have seen that happen. We have had that happen a few times with sick plants or have done it on purpose a few times with very sick plants in an attempt to keep the genes.

-Jon

o

Jon....
Some very experienced grower in South Africa posted a reply to this kind of drastic pruning, and he basically said that this is used to rejuvenate a plant to grow faster, and flower sooner. In the wild, Clivia loose their leaves to damaging frosts, and then put out rapid growth spurts to re-grow what was lost.

Frank

o

That makes sense to me if removing lower leaves but topping the plant doesnt make much sense to me. But hey maybe it works! I have 2 Conway Lemon Chiffons where they took central leaf damage and both have a nice offset growing out of the middle of the plant :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clivia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here