Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bronxfigs

Clivia miniata....Growing for Showing

..."As the twig is bent, so grows the tree"....

I recently bought two, blooming-size, Clivia miniata plants from a Clivia nursery in California. The plants were well grown, are healthy, and have no obvious problems. They both should continue to become beautiful plants. These are hybrid plants with good genetics.

I want these plants to have that perfect, fan-shape profile, but other than rotating the plant towards the light, and exposing the leaves to the light source, evenly, every few days, what else can a grower do to create that neat, two-ranked leaf pattern? I want to grow/train them as if they will become "show plants".

Growers who enter their plants into shows MUST have a few tricks up their sleeves to get this "look". Are there, for example, special techniques used to coax an out-of-place leaf back into alignment It cannot be that only culture and turning the plant alone would produce such tailored, neatly stacked leaves on both sides of the stem. And what do you do if the plant is already starting to grow crooked (offsets) to correct alignment? What can be used to clean and shine leaves?

Thanks for any help/hints/techniques, etc.

Frank

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus