Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meyermike_1micha

Craig, this is for you and anyone else to join in!

meyermike_1micha
13 years ago

Craig..This is what you wrote and my rsponse is in reference to it..

Posted by craigr2006 Zone 9 (My Page) on Mon, Nov 29, 10 at 12:46

Hi guys,

Time to throw in my 2 cents worth I guess. Every grower, environment, soil, schedule has different issues. Mature Clivias for the most part can survive with a few light waterings a year in fast draining soil, if the temps are moderate year round. For hotter places, once a month to every other month won't kill them. Now, to get them to bloom and produce offsets, you need better than "enough to survive." Some soil types retain moisture. If these are watered too much, they will rot and die. Some soil types are fast draining. These can tolerate every 1-2 week waterings just fine. A good watering will fill the roots in an hour. The plant can live off that for quite a while. The issue wth watering in winter, is the plant is dormant and you increase your chance of rot. Also, the theory says the plant needs to be starved to produce a flower. As our friend says she waters every week and gets 2-3 blooms a year. Obviously not starved. If what you are doing is working, stay with it. If it isn't, then make an adjustment. Clvias aren't as hard as they are reported to be to grow. They just don't tolerate bright light, frost, and over watering.

Take care,

Craig

-----------------------------------------------------------

Craig..Wow

What a great suprise to see you back...!!Wonderful>:-)

Thank you for your input as always..Thank you very much for pointing these things out..That is why I miss you being here..I never cease to learn from you nor do others here..In fact, you just proved an 'old wive's tale" can exsist with these plants too..

I am one of those that waters mine on a frequent basis, even in the darkness of my cellar, because the mix I use dries out very well and rapidily..Theys eem to respond to it wonderfully..Never rot, even in a resting place..I still get lot's of blooms on mine every spring year after year as my picturtes show..

Thank you again Craig..Take care;-)

Mike

Sponsored