Return to the Clivia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing Clivias in the ground

Posted by regine Z10 Fl (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 30, 06 at 17:28

My Clivia has been in the ground about 4 years but has not bloomed. It bloomed once when I had it in the pot but not in the ground. It's in a shady spot and has a good number of leaves which are a good size. Aren't they supposed to bloom in the ground?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing Clivias in the ground

• Posted by dries South Africa (My Page) on
    Sun, Dec 31, 06 at 11:41

Clivias normally grow and flower better in the ground as opposed to pots. What area are you in? All I can think is that you are in a tropical area and you do not have enough drop in temperature for a long enough period?

o

I'm in South Florida,in the West Palm Beach area.I didn't think they needed such a big drop in temperature in order to bloom but that makes sense. Thank you.

o

I am in the West Palm Beach area, actually Jupiter and my Clivia, growing in the ground under an oak tree, bloomed last spring.

o

they want cooler temps and/or druoght under the winter months and if they gets that it will stimulate them to blossom

o

• Posted by baci z10Ca (My Page) on
    Sat, Feb 3, 07 at 6:09

It seems like when my neighbors put theirs in the ground, they put out more plants than they would in a pot.
I had one that bloomed, then was moved around &/or treated poorly & did not bloom for 6 years. It is now in a happy location & blooming yearly.
I am in the same zone but a different coast. Some of mine are just beginning to bud.

o

I gulped and then planted my newly bought clivia directly into the ground in a well-draining, dappled sun area two years ago. Last year all it did was make pups, and this year, it is in full bud, about to break out in blooms! And, except for the natural leaf litter covering it got this winter (one that saw temps in the low 20s) it has a bit of leaf freeze burn, but it is fine and about to be beautiful. So if you have a pup on a potted clivia, try it in the ground...out of the wind, but able to get some lower temps to push it into bloom. Good luck!
firefly

o

so, ok, I'm in 8b and I have areas in my yard that rarely freeze. Some spots haven't frosted in like five years and all are shaded. amarylis does great in the ground here but I've always heard it was to cold here for clivia. Not wanting yet another huge honking pot to haul in for the winter, I've avoided them. You guys think I should try it? be honest-- I promise I won't hold you responsible for any untimely floral demise.

o

I'm 9b, this year mine bloomed. We had a cooler, wetter winter than last year. Though one bloomed the year before & we had a really mild winter. I had no idea they needed any cold either. Maybe keep them in a pot and put them in the fridge? My DH would really have a fit then!
launch6, stick it in the ground!
Tally HO!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clivia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here