Return to the Clivia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Clivia Seed

Posted by hopefulauthor z5IL (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 3, 07 at 18:24

I've got a few questions regarding Clivia seeds.
My clivia has 7 seed. Two turned red, but they're really tiny and dry..Will these seeds germinate?
The other 5 are large but still green..Do the seeds have to turn red to germinate or will green do?
If they have to be red, can I remove the the stem that berry's are on or should it remain on the plant?
I promised seeds to a few friends, therefore want to send fertile seeds..Thanks, Toni

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Clivia Seed

Hi Toni, if you mean the other 5 are green,yes they need to ripen. 5?? Thats awesome!! The tiny and dry ones probably are goners, but the others sound ok. I have 2 little seedlings right now, and its really easy to plant them. When the seed pods are ripe [red], they should hold around 2 or more seeds.You take them out of the red pod,wash them,and slightly push them in to your seeding mix. Cover them if you want ,and pretty soon you will see a root, and then leaves. sorry for being sooo long winded, these clivia plants are anouther fav!!lol ps here is a pic of ripe seed pods....
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

o

Hey Beetle..sorry I didn't get to you sooner, but didn't press the button where emails pop up via email..
I see how red your seeds are..How much time before you remove them? Are you going to sow yours?
Your Clivia looks great.
Is your plant in a warm or cool room? and does heat make a difference getting seeds to redden? I've got my Clive in a cool room, resting..The berry's are facing the window...if that makes a difference???
One larger seed is pink, but not red..I'll leave on though, as you advise..Thanks, so much..Toni

o

Hi Toni, sounds like you are doing great! Your pink seed pod is almost ready, when its is fairly red is when i would take the seeds out. I would think that it would'nt make much difference what temp. room, your probably better off with your coolish room.As long as the light coming through your window wasn't hot, i don't think the berries would be harmed. Thanks for the compliment to my 'precious' lol, and those seeds are planted and growing well. Good luck with yours!! Are you going to post any pics of the wee ones? Have a good night, beet

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clivia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here